Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

i wish these butterflies wouldn't be so "dumb".

caterwallin
9 years ago

Or do they know something we don't know? I had several Pipevine Swallowtails lay eggs here about a month ago on my Aristolochia macrophylla. They've just been sitting on the pipevine as eggs, so I thought being that it's getting cool up here that they wouldn't hatch out. Well, a couple days ago I happened to walk past the pipevine and saw lots of little caterpillars. Here it is fall, getting cooler by the day and not a whole lot of pipevine. As soon as we get a frost, there will go the PVS's food supply if there's even enough there to begin with. I've raised so many (hundreds) of PVS this summer that I hope I've helped the population, but I just hate to see anything like that die. Here in central PA it's only a matter of time before we get a frost. It's been in the low 40's a few nights in the past month, and we usually get our first frost by the middle of October. I guess I can wish that it will be delayed this year. I've never had as many PVS here before as I've had this year! Raising them and doing various other things keeps me from getting on the computer as much as I'd like. I hope everyone else's season has been a good one. I miss being on here like I used to be, and I sure am grateful for all of the advice I've received over the years. Maybe as the garden season winds down, I'll have a little more time to visit the forum more often.
Cathy

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor