Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's getting late but...

Posted by tiffy_z5_6_can 5/6 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 2, 10 at 18:59

... they are still out there!!! I presently have 18 Monarch crysalis (sp?) which should eclose in a week and then I'm out in the gardens culling and transplanting when I spot 4 more caterpillars. It's becoming a real dilemma this year. I'm tempted to bring them in but wonder if it would be ethical of me to release in late October. In the case of two cats, the release would be more like early November when we would be getting our first good frosts.

I really hate to leave them out there. This is torture!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's getting late but...

Well, why not bring them into a container and leave it outside in a sheltered spot? That way, they'd at least have a better chance of making it. IF they withstand the elements and successfully eclose, then it was meant to be. Right? If you bring them inside the house, they will survive to eclose, but then you may be faced with having to release them into certain death. Better to let nature decide IMVHO.~~Angie

o

Angie,
Thank-You!! I just needed for someone to provide me with good logic. :O) Been battling the flu and my head has been feeling like a place where the fog has taken permanent residence so thoughts are not that clear. You make sense!! I'll set them up in their 'residence' tomorrow and we will see what happens.

o

Adult Monarchs can withstand temps down to freezing, but not for long periods and not if they are wet. Caterpillars and pupae cannot take hard frost. I've seen some that made it through because they were in a microclimate in the yard. Near a rock or near the house.

This is what the Monarchs normally do. They keep laying and try to get those last few through. Some times the weather holds and some times it doesn't. Those last butterflies have a very hard time of making it to the south.

I've not been bringing in any for the last two weeks. Some are making it and others are not. I actually saw a Pipevine Swallowtail chrysalis about to emerge today. This weather that we are having is crazy and it is confusing many butterfly species.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here