Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Bees, Asters, and a Scarlet Bodied Wasp Moth

MissSherry
10 years ago

There's an aster plant that came up in my 'meadow' between the house and the woods, and I have no idea what type it is. I don't know if it came up on its own or if I planted it in the past - if I did, I don't remember doing it. It grew real tall and wide for an aster - about 5'-6' tall X 3'-4' wide - and started to lean over about a month ago, maybe due to the weight of the buds and/or other things growing on it. I need to weed the 'meadow' badly, but now that it's so late in the year, I'll just wait for a freeze to do the job for me. We usually get one by late November or early December. The aster finally bloomed! The flowers open blue/purple then fade to a whitish color. The plant is COVERED in bees and other insects, and today I saw this scarlet bodied wasp moth -

{{gwi:509848}}

I've let hemp vine/Mikania scandens (the reported host plant) grow in the meadows wherever they come up, hoping to find a SBWM cat one day - so far, no luck. Since I only see them in fall, they may not lay eggs here, just come from other parts, like maybe the Coast or Florida, I don't know. Has anybody ever found a SBWM cat? Also does anybody know what type aster this is? The leaves are small and narrow but plentiful.

Here's another picture -

{{gwi:548741}}

Sherry

Comments (6)

Sponsored