Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bees, Asters, and a Scarlet Bodied Wasp Moth

Posted by misssherry Z8/9SE MS (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 19:11

There's an aster plant that came up in my 'meadow' between the house and the woods, and I have no idea what type it is. I don't know if it came up on its own or if I planted it in the past - if I did, I don't remember doing it. It grew real tall and wide for an aster - about 5'-6' tall X 3'-4' wide - and started to lean over about a month ago, maybe due to the weight of the buds and/or other things growing on it. I need to weed the 'meadow' badly, but now that it's so late in the year, I'll just wait for a freeze to do the job for me. We usually get one by late November or early December. The aster finally bloomed! The flowers open blue/purple then fade to a whitish color. The plant is COVERED in bees and other insects, and today I saw this scarlet bodied wasp moth -

photo SBWMonAsters_zps13f110f3.jpg

I've let hemp vine/Mikania scandens (the reported host plant) grow in the meadows wherever they come up, hoping to find a SBWM cat one day - so far, no luck. Since I only see them in fall, they may not lay eggs here, just come from other parts, like maybe the Coast or Florida, I don't know. Has anybody ever found a SBWM cat? Also does anybody know what type aster this is? The leaves are small and narrow but plentiful.

Here's another picture -

photo SBWMonAsters2_zps3da7928a.jpg

Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bees, Asters, and a Scarlet Bodied Wasp Moth

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 9:27

This could be New England Aster or something very similar. It is considered a native plant here in Wisconsin. I'm not sure how it got the name. We have some in our yard. It begins to bloom in early September, when other flowers are scarce. The local bees are all over this plant in the fall.

o

I looked up New England asters, and I think you're right, Eric. The leaves look like it, and the size matches. It's shown as being native to nearly every state in the U.S., including mine, so it may have come up on its own. I really like this big aster, so I'll watch for seeds and spread them in the other meadows.

Sherry

o

That's an awesome moth!

Nicholas

o

Your photos are stunning! I love that bee, cute. Never seen a red bodied wasp! Thanks for the pictures.

o

That Red Bodied Wasp Moth is awesome!! They remind me of the Oleander Wasp Moths of South Florida, esp the blue black one c the white spots and red abdominal tip.

o

Thanks, all!

They're one of my favorite moths - a beautiful moth that flies in the day but looks like a wasp, interesting!

They're closely related to the oleander wasp moth, Leafhead.

Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here