Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wifey2mikey

Monarch Advice please?

wifey2mikey
12 years ago

I have two Monarchs that eclosed late this afternoon. They are currently both outside on my back porch in screened cages. It's already dark, and the temperatures tonight are supposed to dip in the low 30's overnight. Will the cold weather harm them? Should I move them into the garage overnight and then release when it warms up tomorrow?

~Laura

Comments (5)

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Laura,

I don't think the cold weather will hurt them, if it's not freezing. I had one spend the night in a sheltered area on my patio last night. When I moved the plants closer to house for protection, I found the Monarch on one of the leaves. I had released it earlier yesterday. Today it was gone. I also saw Monarchs flying south this morning when the temps were still pretty cool here.

It does get cold in Mexico where they are going. I've seen photos of Monarchs with frost on them. After the freezing temps here last night, there were still quite a few butterflies flying around today.

Having said all that, if it makes you feel better, keep them in the garage. They will be better prepared to take off in the morning (no warm up time required).

Sandy

• minrose
    12 years ago

I would wait til the morning to release them if I were you

• wifey2mikey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I released them about 9 am this morning. Actually I carried them to a butterfly bush that was full sun and put them each on a bloom. They stayed there for some time, sunning their wings and slowly opening and closing them. They both flew away around noon.

~Laura

• minrose
    12 years ago

That is good to hear!

• texasmonarch
    12 years ago

Best to release in morning.
    Has to be 55 degrees for them to fly.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022