Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

Rarest Butterflies

butterflymomok
12 years ago

A friend posted this article on Facebook, and I found it to be quite interesting. Thought you all might enjoy it. Be sure you view the photos by clicking on the link and the dots.

Here is a link that might be useful: World's Rarest Butterfly

Comment (1)

• ladobe
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting the link. I really did enjoy reading the write up on Neonympha mitchellii.

While interesting, the rest of it is argumentative for me though (but I think you expected that from me). Most of the species listed in steady decline at various levels of rareness have been well known for decades. Some are still in decline, some holding their own with help and rarely some do show the begining signs of a come back. But there are many other species in this country that are nearly as rare, just as rare or even rarer than some of them as well not listed.

Lepidopterists publicizing serious decline or possible extinction of any species globally might do some good in getting them protected and get others on the bandwagion to try to save them, but unfortunately it also serves to alert those that will go to collect them for their collections anyway, and those that would take all in sight before they are gone to sell to collectors worldwide for the almighty buck. Being listed on ESA, CITES, etc, or even in a protected reserve wont stop either. It hasn't in the past becasue enforcing their protection is nearly impossible to do, even in reserves and national parks. A couple of examples that Lepidopterists couldn't save... the now long presumed extinct Parnassius clodius strohbeeni that was lost as much or more from over collecting as habitat loss over 50 years ago; also presumed extinct for maybe 25 years for the same reasons is Lycaeides idas lotis. There are lots more already gone forever, and even more heading for extinction that collectors continue to try to obtain. Locally, many of the species only found in the Spring Mountains have not seen for years now (not just the Icaricia shasta charlestonensis on the list in this article), so some of them are presumed to be or very near extinction. Unfortunately last year massive fires took out much of the best remaining habitat there for some of the species. Over collecting has been a priority for some people in those mountains I'm sure for many years.

Larry

Sponsored