Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairfieldcircle

Which hydrangea for Butterflies?

fairfieldcircle
11 years ago

I'm doing some fall planting and want to include some hydrangeas that attract butterflies for nectaring.

I have a number of old Oakleaf Hydrangeas but have never noticed butterflies around them--does anyone have any other Hydrangea varieties to recommend?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best, t.

Comments (9)

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    11 years ago

I know my hydrangeas NEVER attract butterflies. I have not gotten rid of them because they came from a neighbor (before I bought my house) and the neighbor has commented on how she is glad I still have them.

Link below shows some butterflies enjoying hydrangeas. I don't know what the hydrangea species are so maybe you can figure it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangeas Bring in the Butterflies

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

The hydrangeas pictured with butterflies in the kc link above are Hydrangea paniculata, apparently named for the panicle-shaped blooms, although paniculatas have other bloom forms.

• atcps
    11 years ago

Hi all, It is true that particular year the Hydrangea paniculatas really brought in the swallowtails as pictured on my blog. That was mainly due to the over population of the swallowtails that particular year though. They were everywhere in the garden. Despite this I would highly recommend 'Limelight' any day of the year for a multitude of interest! Thanks for including my link. It's super wonderful to think of butterflies prior to planting.

Here is a link that might be useful: In the Garden

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

I have caught a whiff sometimes from paniculata bloomage so I wonder if that too attracts them.

• bananasinohio
    11 years ago

I have one that when producing nectar does bring in some things but not a ton. It is a panicle. I think it is quickfire but I forget. It is not really a remarkable shrub but it is tough. My other hydrangeas, oakleaf and one of the usual macrophyllas (I think) bring in nothing.

Is there a reason you want hydrangeas? I know you are down in the Cinci area right? In the Dayton area, with the alkaline soil, hydrangeas are not like they would be in an area with acid soil. I remember my grandmother's shrubs on Long Island. They were at least six feet tall with gorgeous blue blooms. But I can't help trying. So, I have some in pots to get the size and blooms.

Anyhow, I know you know butterfly plants but maybe this is a good thread to talk about shrubs other than butterfly bush. On second thought, I will start a new thread!

Cheers,
    Elisabeth

• J Inhof
    7 years ago

Hi, again everyone, I just wanted to report that I had two black swallowtails nectaring on my hydrangea paniculata this afternoon for quite a while. I have two of these shrubs and I have not seen butterflies on them before but the are not viewed easily from any window in my house. I remember I bought them in particular because the nursery woman said the fritillaries loved them at the garden center. This was several years ago. I have seven oak leaf hydrangeas and I have yet to see any butterflies at all nectaring on them.

I love hydrangeas too. I wish I could remember this particular cultivar's name.

Cheers! J.

• HU-168949251
    3 years ago

I have over 250 butterflies in my garden yearly all different types. Never once S a single bitterly gone to, rested, gotten nectar feom any of my Hydrangeas.

• luis_pr
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Interesting. Butterflies can smell and taste but, just because they can, that does not mean they will rest there... specially if the scent is not attractive enough to that type of butterfly(ies) or to their diet. More lacecaps may help.