Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which hydrangea for Butterflies?

Posted by fairfieldcircle 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 20:56

I'm doing some fall planting and want to include some hydrangeas that attract butterflies for nectaring.

I have a number of old Oakleaf Hydrangeas but have never noticed butterflies around them--does anyone have any other Hydrangea varieties to recommend?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best, t.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which hydrangea for Butterflies?

I know my hydrangeas NEVER attract butterflies. I have not gotten rid of them because they came from a neighbor (before I bought my house) and the neighbor has commented on how she is glad I still have them.

Link below shows some butterflies enjoying hydrangeas. I don't know what the hydrangea species are so maybe you can figure it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangeas Bring in the Butterflies

o

The hydrangeas pictured with butterflies in the kc link above are Hydrangea paniculata, apparently named for the panicle-shaped blooms, although paniculatas have other bloom forms.

o

Hi all, It is true that particular year the Hydrangea paniculatas really brought in the swallowtails as pictured on my blog. That was mainly due to the over population of the swallowtails that particular year though. They were everywhere in the garden. Despite this I would highly recommend 'Limelight' any day of the year for a multitude of interest! Thanks for including my link. It's super wonderful to think of butterflies prior to planting.

Here is a link that might be useful: In the Garden

o

I have caught a whiff sometimes from paniculata bloomage so I wonder if that too attracts them.

o

I have one that when producing nectar does bring in some things but not a ton. It is a panicle. I think it is quickfire but I forget. It is not really a remarkable shrub but it is tough. My other hydrangeas, oakleaf and one of the usual macrophyllas (I think) bring in nothing.

Is there a reason you want hydrangeas? I know you are down in the Cinci area right? In the Dayton area, with the alkaline soil, hydrangeas are not like they would be in an area with acid soil. I remember my grandmother's shrubs on Long Island. They were at least six feet tall with gorgeous blue blooms. But I can't help trying. So, I have some in pots to get the size and blooms.

Anyhow, I know you know butterfly plants but maybe this is a good thread to talk about shrubs other than butterfly bush. On second thought, I will start a new thread!

Cheers,
Elisabeth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here