Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Monarch of the Year

Posted by leubafr z8/9 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 12, 11 at 22:01

Today, October 12, 2011, I saw my FIRST Monarch of this fall...I know I have been busy but is this similar to what everyone else is experiencing?????? I have pleanty of milkweed and have been watching for life.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Monarch of the Year

Where do you live Leub? Hope you see lots more Monarchs!

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 13, 11 at 13:54

You can get a picture of how migrating monarchs move around the USA by visiting the Journey North web-site, and looking at some of the monarch maps. There is a map for "roosting sites," and a map for "peak migration." The monarchs are not evenly distributed across the landscape. They tend to follow rivers and lakeshores when they migrate south. Here in Wisconsin, there are more monarchs flying south along the shoreline of Lake Michigan than there are in the central part of the state.

o

I walked at lunch at the Botanical Gardens here in Athens, Ga. and I saw about six beautiful Monarchs flying around the lantanas and asters. They are the first I have seen here this Fall. They were large and beautiful! I hope to see some at my house when I get home today.

o

That's weird, Mary, I've been seeing lots of monarchs this year, and we aren't that far from each other, assuming you're still in southeast Louisiana. I've raised two batches of monarch cats, more than usual for me. My milkweed/A. curassavica grew real tall, and I had a lot of plants, plus some honeyvine.
Hopefully, you'll see more!
Sherry

o

That's very interesting about the Monarchs following the lakeshores and rivers. I was on the Michigan side of Lake Michigan watching the sun set, and we saw at least 10 Monarchs flying south just above the trees. We were only there about 10 minutes, but saw more Monarchs than I'd seen at one sitting all summer. And there wasn't a blossom to be seen. That whole migration thing is so fascinating and obviously complex. I wish I could follow one butterfly on its entire journey.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here