Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lanah_1

Monarch Chrysalis 2 months to eclose anyone ever heard of this???

lanah_1
11 years ago

Im a newbie to raising Monarchs,(my first year).

I just had two monarchs eclose after 8 weeks today,They formed their chrysalis the first week of September The weather went from hot and drought to very low temperatures and lots of rain right after they pupated.

I had 4 chrysalis altogether,the first two pupated a couple days before these last two they took a month to emerge !!

I was worried sick about those ,and totally gave up on these last two,But they looked plump, healthy and green. So I just kept my eye on them...But I figured the cold had killed them its been in the low 30's at night most nights.

I noticed they turned dark yesterday.I thought they had finally died or (HOPEFULLY)were going to hatch..It has been in the 70's the past two days.up from the 40' and 50's daytime temps ...

And when I came home from work today they had both hatched !!!

One male and one female.They were perfect.!!!! They flew right off.......I WAS AMAZED.Has anyone ever heard of monarchs taking this long to hatch out??? its very STRANGE from what little I know about it.

Comments (8)

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

Congratulations! I can't remember keeping track of how long it took for monarchs to emerge, but I know it's not long, probably no more than two weeks. It is true, though, that as long as a chrysalis has good healthy color, it's generally healthy and will emerge in due time. I'm sure your up and down weather was what caused the delay.

Sherry

• lanah_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply..I have learned a lot from everyone here and especially you misssherry..

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

We're always glad to help people raise caterpillars to butterflies! :)

Sherry

• suzp3
    9 years ago

I'm so glad to have found this forum. This is my first experience raising monarchs! I have 6 monarch chrysalis' outside (that I have found) that formed approx. 2 1/2 weeks ago and I have been getting concerned that the butterflies have not yet eclosed. They all appear healthy (I had to euthanize 2 of the earlier ones due to being infested by the tachinid fly) but we've had some CA spells of very cold weather after they formed their chrysalis so I am assuming this is why it's taking longer than normal. I'll keep watching and waiting! Thanks so much for posting all your comments!

• alch21
    9 years ago

I found that the temperature is always a factor. Too cool will delay the hatch but as long as your chrysalis looked good. The only problem with Monarchs is that if they are delayed, they might not be able to make it to Mexico before the weather catch up with them when you release them. Congrats !!

• suzp3
    9 years ago

Update on 3 of my chrysalises! 3 eclosed yesterday after approx 4 weeks - amazing experience and so beautiful! Sad news though that one fell from the spot it was holding onto (it was a little windy) right after eclosing. It was crawling in the soil so I put a stick down and it climbed up and I hung it from a nearby plant with a clothespin. The wings plumped up for awhile but never fully finished. I found it this morning dead. So very sad that it made it thru almost to the end to die. Butterfly raising, although so exciting, can be stressful. I understand why people raise them indoors and then release them!

• HU-840869415610527
    2 years ago

This message gives me hope! I have 55 Chrysalis in my butterfly cage and have been waiting for the first to eclose. The first 4 spun to chrysalis on Jan 31st. I have been counting the days and it is long overdue in my mind. I will leaveall 55 to remain in my butterfly cage and hope I will be able to get my beautiful Monarchs. thanks for your post.

• HU-840869415610527
    2 years ago

This post gives me hope! I have 55 Chrysalis in my Butterfly cage in my patio room. The first 4 formed chrysalis on Jan. 31, 2022. My butterfly cage is in my lania and I have had so much luck raising Monarchs before. Last year I raised 105 - it is my hobby.

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County