Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monarch Chrysalis 2 months to eclose anyone ever heard of this???

Posted by lanah_1 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 22:03

Im a newbie to raising Monarchs,(my first year).
I just had two monarchs eclose after 8 weeks today,They formed their chrysalis the first week of September The weather went from hot and drought to very low temperatures and lots of rain right after they pupated.
I had 4 chrysalis altogether,the first two pupated a couple days before these last two they took a month to emerge !!
I was worried sick about those ,and totally gave up on these last two,But they looked plump, healthy and green. So I just kept my eye on them...But I figured the cold had killed them its been in the low 30's at night most nights.
I noticed they turned dark yesterday.I thought they had finally died or (HOPEFULLY)were going to hatch..It has been in the 70's the past two days.up from the 40' and 50's daytime temps ...
And when I came home from work today they had both hatched !!!
One male and one female.They were perfect.!!!! They flew right off.......I WAS AMAZED.Has anyone ever heard of monarchs taking this long to hatch out??? its very STRANGE from what little I know about it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monarch Chrysalis 2 months to eclose anyone ever heard of thi

Congratulations! I can't remember keeping track of how long it took for monarchs to emerge, but I know it's not long, probably no more than two weeks. It is true, though, that as long as a chrysalis has good healthy color, it's generally healthy and will emerge in due time. I'm sure your up and down weather was what caused the delay.

Sherry

o

Thanks for the reply..I have learned a lot from everyone here and especially you misssherry..

o

We're always glad to help people raise caterpillars to butterflies! :)

Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here