Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rollie_gw

Dumb question....

rollie
9 years ago

My first ever egg hatched a few weeks ago. My cat went into chrysalis stage today. I don't think he stands a chance to make the migration, but I just couldn't turn him out. We've had three frosts so far, with two being killing frosts. (21) The way I see it, is I have ten days or so to get him on the front side of the migration.. Does he have a chance?

Anyone interested in taking a mail order monarch experiment. I have no idea how well it would handle the trip, but it is probably better than the option of turning him out in 10-12 days.

Any ideas?

Comments (8)

• Liz
    9 years ago

If he's outside, you could try bringing him in the house to hasten his development a bit. (In a cage of some kind--you don't want him flying around the living room.) Then, as long as you're getting daytime temps in the 50s you can release him in the warmest part of the day. I just read they can cover 500 miles in a day with favorable winds. Check out the Journey North website for more info.
    HTH,
    Liz

• Kristy Asao
    9 years ago

Still interested in the mail order thing? Want me to send ya an E-mail?

• juneweaver
    9 years ago

Butterfly Farms ship them out. Here's what one says
    "ANSWER: We carefully package each stage of a butterfly or moth's lifecycle. In the hottest summer months and cold winter months, they are shipped in foam containers for heat/cold protection. Eggs are shipped, in most cases, on leaves removed from the host plant. They are placed in a plastic container to prevent dehydration. Caterpillars / larvae are shipped in either plastic containers or cardboard boxes, depending upon the size or instar of the caterpillar. Enough host plant in included to feed the caterpillar during shipment. Chrysalises / pupae are shipped either wrapped in paper towels, tissue, or foam packaging and placed in cardboard boxes for shipment. Packaging of chrysalises which have a sharp cremaster must be carefully planned. A cremaster of a Monarch chrysalis can punture and kill another Monarch chrysalis. Cocoons are shipped simply packaged in a cardboard box inside a cardboard box."

I'd definitely go Next Day Air and try to minimize effects of cold during shipment. or heat upon arrival. Somewhat similar to shipping tender plants or cuttings.

I faced similar circumstances late last fall but the weather broke after two days and a release was possible.

Bless you for your whole hearted concern for one of the least of these all creatures great and small. Each one is important as are you and others along rhe way who care. and care for.

• rollie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was all packaged up and ready for a one way flight to warmer territory, but the USPS is closed today in observance of Columbus day. Flying out tomorrow. :)

• Kristy Asao
    9 years ago

Lol Aaah. That's okay. No problem. :-)

• rollie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got it on the plane today.. I think its the last one Ill be sending via next day air... Yikes. I couldve flown Allegiant to LA for just a few dollars more..:)

Its the thought that counts..

• Kristy Asao
    9 years ago

Ooh you managed to get it on a plane today? Cool. I don't know who "Allegiant" is. And I can't imagine the price you paid for it! Lol

• juneweaver
    9 years ago

It is the thought that leads to action that counts and 'right action' may cost $ but it is priceless. Thanks for enriching the 2014 overwintering Monarch gene pool.

Maybe next year people and airlines will volunteer to make safe passage as many hands replant and reclaim right of Way Stations full of Milkweed and all the host and nectar plants our precious pollinators need. I salute your courage and that of the warmer ciiime receiver! May all continue to go well for you all.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner