Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Second wave of Monarchs

Posted by heykid 8, San Antonio (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 20, 10 at 23:34

Just when the leaves were begining to come back on my milkweed, I went out to water and I counted more that 15 new monarch cats munching away.... Three of my yard plants have cats, but the three potted plants siting outside of my greenhouse have no signs of cats....YET!

heykid

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Second wave of Monarchs

Wow. That is great! I am not seeing a sign of any Monarch. I wonder if they even migrate through here.~~Angie

o

I am still seeing some in the central pathway, so you should be seeing them for a bit longer in San Antonio. Bandzmom, you should be in or close to the Atlantic pathway. Have you checked the Journey North migration map? Looks like there's still activity in your area.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Migration Map at Journey North

o

Well, I did check the map earlier in the year Susan, and my peak migration was listed to occur in late September-early October. I am not seeing even one. I am way up in the far NW corner of Georgia though.~~Angie

o

I haven't been seeing but maybe 1 or 2 every few days but am seeing several Queens daily.
I was in Dallas on Wednesday with my husband for several Dr appts & had some time to kill, so I went to the Texas Discovery Gardens at Fair Park...there were several dozen monarchs nectaring on frostweed there! I didn't see any cats on their milkweed plants but it was very encouraging to me that they are still coming through in abundance! I am planning to add frostweed plants in several areas in my yard because of the nectar attraction this time of year! I am still seeing quite a few GFs, Hackberry Emporers, & skippers in my yard. I usually have BF activity well into November here just west of DFW metroplex.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here