Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ams2009

Had a gst eclose & wings ar� deformed! :(

ams2009
13 years ago

Have several pupa and have been keeping them outdoors to avoid butterflies eclosing during bad weather like last year. My last cat just pupated this week! Anyway, as is the norm here, we had spring/summer like temps/weather last week & weekend so that kind of defeated my purpose for keeping the pupa outside this year, and had 3 chrysalis turning dark by Monday and they all eclosed on Wednesday. I came home at lunch to check them & still none had eclosed & I made sure they were all placed where they could climb up so wings could dry/form properly, but when I got home from work that evening, they were all 3 out & I immediately noticed that one had shriveled up wings, I was crushed, I don't know what went wrong! I looked at all of the chrysalis "skins" and they all look like they opened properly, like none had any problem crawling out. Looks like the wings never expanded, and they are brittle, u can hear them when the Bf tries to "fly" and flutters them. I'm keeping him indoors, and feeding him, I put him out in mornings before work in mesh cage in the Sunshine, and was off today so he got to spend most of the day out in the sunny weather. I feel terrible for the little guy!! I let him crawl around when i can watch him, so he has some freedom, but is there anything else i can do for him? I remember reading before that male gst BF's like to "puddle" and was wondering what i could use to make This Bf a "puddle" to play around in? I wish i could do something about his wings, its so sad, its like he doesnt know and still tr�es to fly, and flaps his little shriveled wings really fast like all of them do. He can jump way far though, and always Lands on his feet! Just would like to do anything i can to make him confortable since he wont ever get to fly off, any advice appreciated!

Comments (3)

• ladobe
    13 years ago

Since your description states the wings never formed and you were not present when it eclosed, it might have been stuck in the case when it tried to expand (that is got free of after), veins could have been damaged so it could not pump the fluids into them or they could have leaked, it could be diseased, or a combination of all of them. It can't serve its major role in life to perpetuate the species, nor its minor roll of pollination, and will die soon enough anyway. So the right thing to do IMO is to humanely euthanize it and move on.

• ams2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I think you are right, that he got stuck when climbing out. ÃÂ It occurred to me later on that the pupal case?? was in a different spot after he eclosed, quite a few inches from where the chrysalis wAs when I checked on my lunch break. Now I'm concerned ÃÂ about the others (chrysalides) that are lying on floor! ÃÂ I raised them (about 50 cats) in plastic critter cages, grouped together by age/stage. So had anywhere from 5+ cats in each container. Whenever they got ready to pupate, I moved them to a plastic container with some sticks in it, covered with tulle. Of course, ÃÂ most of them chose to pupate on the container itself, rather than on the sticks. So I removed those chrysalides so
    I could put them in mesh reptarium where they could climb and had enough room when it was time to eclose. ÃÂ I've ÃÂ had quite a few eclose, that were also placed on their sides on paper towels on floor of cage, ÃÂ all have been successful, except This one.ÃÂ ÃÂ I'm wondering now, if I should "stabilize" the pupa that are lying on theÃÂ floor somehow, because it seems like this one's trouble was caused by the chrysalis not being set in place, firmly attached to anything? I really don't think the butterfly is diseased, he was a fast growing, healthy cat, and other than the wings being deformed, he seems perfectly normal. ÃÂ Eats on his own,pretty much, if I just place him on the Gatorade soaked cotton. This is why the thought of euthanizing him bothers me, but if i knew for a fact that he would rather not live at all, than live inÃÂ captivity, ÃÂ unable to fly, reproduce & carry out its purpose in life, I would feel better about it. It's no trouble at all for me to feed him & keep him comfortable while he is alive, but if this quality of life isn't really "keeping him comfortable" and is only making me feel better, so to speak, then I would rather do what's in the best interest of the butterfly. And i just checked & another butterfly eclosed, and it's perfectly fine, it was attached to a stick, still worried about the ones that are on the floor! If you have any suggestions as to how i might prevent same from happening with others on floor, id appreciate it! Thanks!ÃÂ

• shannon74
    13 years ago

Just wanted to chime in here - sorry about your butterfly. I think the wing problem was just one of those freak things. I started using the "floor only" method a while back, I think based on some advice from Larry himself :-) and it has worked great. I even go so far as to detach them from lids/sticks after they pupate and arrange them on the bottom of a mesh cage and have had no problems. So I think the ones on the floor will be fine. Good luck!