Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildflowerman_2000

Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014

Hi Folks,
I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring Milkweed) again this year from ctnchpr. I would like to extend a hearty "Thank You" to him for again providing seed. He seems to be one of the few fortunate enough to consistently get seed of this species year after year. The seed look to be better developed than last year but the quantity is not as great. I have 25 packets with a dozen (12) seed in each one. With all the interest I have received over the past year the only way I know to be fair to all is to offer them first come first served. I am not going to do any email correspondence as it takes so much time. Therefore I will send them to the first 25 who mail me a self-addressed & stamped envelope(SASE). This should be a regular envelope with one (1) first class stamp. Priority will be determined by postmark so I would recommend you get your request out immediately. I would expect they will all be spoken for within a week. After Dec 1 you are welcome to contact me at wildflowerman_2000@yahoo.com to see if any are remaining. I will not answer any request on the GardenWeb milkweed Forum- only those to my personal email address so as to not clog up the GardenWeb website.
I really enjoy be able to do this for all the folks who love milkweeds as much as I. It is quite a bit of work but very rewarding to be able to get these seed distributed to as many folks as possible.
The SASE should be be sent to me at: MARK ROSE, (wildflowerman_2000), P O BOX 2047, BOONE, NC 28607-2047. Thanks for your interest!!
Regards,
Mark Rose (wildflowerman_2000)

Comments (13)

• seedmoney
    9 years ago

Thank you! Envelope on its way!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Bump... Have to to be seen above all Woollybear messages!!
    K

• Mark (wildflowerman_2000) Rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Folks, I think all the seed of Asclepias variegata are gone for this year. I'll be mailing them right after Thanksgiving. Good luck with them.
    Regards,
    Mark (wildflowerman_2000)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Thanks for the generous offer. I hope to be able to share this next year!
    Kristi

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Folks,
    All the seed are packed into their envelopes and will depart tomorrow (Dec 1) in the mail. All should have them by weeks end. Good luck and happy growing!
    Regards,

• seedmoney
    9 years ago

Mark,
    Seeds arrived today-- I really appreciate the opportunity to grow this--I will ceratainly "pass it on" if I am successful.
    Thanks again,
    seedmoney

• davidlmo
    9 years ago

Thank you and ctnchpr. Kudos.

I will be adding this one which is hard to find to my monarch habitat which this year should be up to 16 varieties including the two Calotropis species and two South African Gomphocarpus varieties. My garden is now a National Wildlife Federation habitat and a MonarchWatch Waystation.

If I get enough seeds, I will share as well. Thanks

• flutterby64
    9 years ago

"Thank you!" to Mark and to ctnchpr for the seeds!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Well the 2014 Asclepias variegata seed distribution is complete. I sent out 26 packets of seed to folks all over the US and four went to international destinations. Folks from Brazil, New Zealand, Germany, and England were the lucky recipients of those overseas request. I hope everyone does well with this year's seed.
    I would also like to thank ctnchpr for again supplying these seed. Hopefully next year we will have even more seed but whatever we have will be distributed as in the past. Here's wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and the hopes for a Most Prosperous New Year!
    Regards,

• loree1223
    9 years ago

This is a little late, but a huge THANKS to Mark and ctnchpr for the redring milkweed seeds! It was the best holiday (and birthday) gift of them all!!

Can anyone share their preferred method of starting these? I started Asclepias incarnata milkweed seeds last year (my first time) by putting them in potting soil and stratifying them in the fridge for several weeks, which worked well. Does anyone prefer to put them in a moist paper towel in the fridge before sowing them? Any other tips? Since these are so difficult to find, there's a lot of pressure to get it right!

Original Author
    9 years ago

loree1223, You are quite welcome and glad to help. I would treat the seed just as you did the A. incarnata. Don't get the soil too moist though-just slightly.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Folks,

I've been getting lots of request already this year for seeds of Asclepias variegata. I have communicated with Dennis (ctnchpr) and he has already started a new thread called "white milkweed,2016". He will be handling the distribution of the seed himself if they do indeed make viable seed. I would recommend you check this thread often to keep up with the progress and he will notify us when and if seed are available.

Regards,

Mark Rose (wildflowerman_2000)

Here is the link for the white milkweed,2016 thread:

forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3933086/white-milkweed-2016?n=7

Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Folks, Please check out the White Milkweed, 2016 thread on the Milkweed Forum for new 2016 seed availability on this species recently posted.