Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why isn't my spicebush caterpillar becoming a chrysalis?

Posted by mocknbird MoCo, MD (6B) (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 11:03

I brought in a spicebush caterpillar I found on a spicebush leaf that had fallen from the tree. It is November, and in my area, most spicebushes have lost all leaves and we have had a few frosts. I figured it would turn into a chrysalis in a couple days, based on the time of season. I have kept it outside with natural temp. and light, and have misted it every so often. It has been at least 4 days, and no change. Anyone have any advice? I have another chrysalis I am overwintering(outside so it won't change pre-season), so I'd like to keep this one too. Also, our spicebush trees have had a good bunch of caterpillars, but never any hanging chrysalis. Are the caterpillars getting eaten, or do they sometimes form a chrysalis that stays on the ground with the other fallen leaves?
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why isn't my spicebush caterpillar becoming a chrysalis?

Normally, they leave the spicebush to make their pupae (chrysalis).

If you are getting 30/40 degree nights and 50/60 degree days that is another reason the caterpillar isn't pupating--it's too cold.

They can also eat Sweet Bay. I think it still has its leaves. I'd find some Sweet Bay and bring the caterpillar inside so it can finish its pupation. As soon as it pupates and hardens, I'd take it back outside.

Another possible reason for it not to pupate is it could have a parasite or disease.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here