Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly ID needed

I think you've got yourself this.

Nicholas

Here is a link that might be useful: Danaid Eggfly

o

If it is the Mimic, it is originally an Eastern Hemisphere butterfly introduced to the Caribbean some centuries ago. Not native to Trinidad/Tobago.

o

And what is that gorgeous critter flying above the butterfly? A day-flying moth, maybe the Caribbean version of a luna moth? A hummingbird?

Sherry

o

Thanks very much for the ID Larry. Do you know what are the host plants for the Mimic butterfly? I want to have more of them in my garden!!

Hey Miss Sherry.... it was actually a humming bird :D

o

Give credit for the ID to Cresphontes; Mimic is another common name for Danaid Eggfly, or Hypolimnas misippus.

The HOSTs database only has two hostplant entries for our hemisphere:

Ipomoea Puerto Rico
Portulaca oleracea Puerto Rico

o

Thanks cresphontes!!!

Thanks Larry, so regular garden morning glory vines should work?

Portulaca oleracea is a common plant in my area but its dreadful looking. i was doing some research and saw they also use the portulaca grandiflora... but that was only on one website. do you know if this is true or false?
thanks for your assistance.

Siam.

o

your welcome, no problem:)

Nicholas

o

Hostplants in the Caribbean for this butterfly do not seem as well documented as for major continents.

Oftentimes a butterfly will use several hostplant species of a genus, so morning glory and the other Portulaca might work.

Perhaps your islands are small enough that you can confirm these plants usage during field trips?

o

Thanks Larry, its not that small. but as i do find out host plants i will keep you all informed. :D

i recently learned the Dione Juno butterfly uses passiflora edulis and passionvine lady Margaret as a host plant.

Siam.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here