Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Queen butterflies use common milkweed?

Posted by kellybird02 7b SC (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 14:10

I just have a quick question. I am working on an article about Common milkweed for butterflies and I was wondering if Queen butterflies use Common milkweed for a host plant like the Monarchs do? I don't see Queen butterflies in my area so I am not very familiar with them. I am guessing they would but I don't want to spread misleading info!

Thank You for your help!!

Kelly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Queen butterflies use common milkweed?

Yes. A more complete list of hostplants is here:

Queen hostplants USA

There are duplicate records in the database, so some hostplants appear more than once.

o

Wow, Larry, what a great resource. I have not come across that one before - thanks!

I should have been more specific. I am referring to Asclepias syriaca as Common milkweed and I don't see it mentioned on that list.

I don't think there is a great overlap between the Queen butterfly's range and where Asclepias syriaca is more likely to be found (central to Northeast US)? Maybe Kansas and Missouri?

I know that here in SC Asclepias syriaca is not a weed that is often seen like it is in other states even though it is shown as being native to this state.

I wonder where the museum gets their information for the data base. It looks like the Queen butterfly has a smaller group of preferred Asclepias or maybe it just has to do with the Danaus gilippus range not overlapping with Asclepias species which are native farther north.

Thanks again

o

The database is made up of observations by people in the field, probably entomologists or students of the same.

The smaller list of Asclepias for the Queen is likely because there have been fewer collective observations of that butterfly as compared to the more numerous Monarchs.

For information specific to one milkweed species in one U.S. state, you will have to rely on local resources, or a forum member with knowledge about SC.

You might try entering the hostplant in the database and see if any Queens come up in the list; there is always the possibility that these data have not been cross-linked in the database.

o

Kelly, Here is the list that Dallas Lep Society has for Queens...
"Queen (Danaus gilippus): Blunt-Leaf Milkweed (Asclepias amplexicaulis), Antelope-Horns (A. asperula), Tropical Milkweed (A. curassavica), Slim Milkweed (A. linearis), ButterflyWeed (A. tuberosa), Green Milkweed (A. viridis), and probably other of our native Asclepias spp. Also, Climbing-Milkweed (Sarcostemma cynanchoides) and probably others."
Dale Clark, who is the site's creator, raises butterflies for a living to supply zoos & butterfly houses all over the country.
Hope this helps as well...I have Queens here just west of DFW & have never seen a queen cat on my Common Milkweed...only on A.curassavica, asperula & viridis...& I have all of them in my BF garden.
Good luck,
Lila

Here is a link that might be useful: Dallas CountyLepidopterists' Society

o

In my part of Texas, they usually use A. asperula, A. texana or A. curassavica.

o

Thanks everyone for the info and resources! I'm only going to list the Monarch and not the Queen as butterflies that utilize Asclepias syriaca as a host plant since I can not verify that Queens use it.

Kelly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here