Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kumquat1_gw

What kind of climbing vine to attract butterflies?

kumquat1
13 years ago

I have a lot of passion vines around my windows in the living room, and enjoy the Gulf Frits flapping around, then the lizards eating the Frit eggs, and all the wildlife entailed. I have an injury, and will be laid up in the living room for a few months. I see some swallowtails flapping out there, but would like a tall flowering vine that all butterflies would nectar on that would climb up at least 12' like the passionvines, but attract more species. Do you have a suggestion for Zone 8b, north Florida?

Comments (6)

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

How about Senecio confusus/Mexican flame vine? It's very vigorous, mine twine right alongside passionvines, and just about every type of butterfly nectars on the blooms.
    {{gwi:551550}}
    Sherry

• kumquat1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Thanks for the lovely suggestion.

• imabirdnut
    13 years ago

I was thinking pipevine but not pretty flowers on it...great suggestion, Sherry! I have some Mexican Flame Vine in a pot because I don't think it is a perennial here in Zone 7b! It was a small plant & didn't bloom this year! I am planning to put it in the ground next year & hopefully, it will survive. It can get in the low teens here but I have several zone 8 hardy plants that are still growing in my yard!
    An annual that attracts lots of hummers & sulphurs in my yard is Cypress vine &/or Cardinal climber. Both of mine reseed now every year & I love the red flowers. I also grow them mixed with lots of other vines because they are both so lacy & they bloom from early summer to frost!

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

Yes, cypress vine and cardinal climber are both tremendous butterfly and hummingbird attractors - I'd forgotten about them. There is a pasture not too far from my house, and in the area between the fence and the road, cypress vine comes up every year (late) and it's always got butterflies and hummers when I pass by. It must reseed readily, because it comes back faithfully each year.
    Sherry

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

Oh shucks Sherry. First, you got me onto the Zowie Zinnias, and now I am going to have to have this Mexican Flame Vine too. Maybe I could grow it in a pot and overwinter it in the garage? I have 4 vines on my fence. The Cardinal Climber and the Red Cypress do attract the Cloudless Sulphurs. That Red Cypress will take over the world once it's planted. Gosh, I have never seen anything spread like it does. My Passionvine saw Gulf Frits and some Gray Hairstreaks this summer. Then, I have a Black eyed Susan vine which I don't really see butterflies on. I need a vine which attracts more species varied action.~~Angie

• Tony G
    12 years ago

does the mexican flame vine attract monarchs and swallowtails? I'm thinking about overwintering one and adding it to my new trellis in Minnesota next season!

How did overwintering work for you Angie?

and forgive my newbie trellis question: do you keep the plant in it the pot, or do you plant it and repot in the fall.

Thanks for your help, Tony

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?