Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fshyplnts

Seed Identification

FshyPlnts
12 years ago

Hey All,

I have two types of seeds collected from a nearby butterfly garden. I am wondering if anyone can give me a rough identification of them? Thanks!I posted the pictures to my blogs because I couldn't figure out how to post them in this question. Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Identification

Comments (16)

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

The first picture could be partridge pea seeds. The seeds look like them, but the pods look bigger than Chamaecrista fasciculata/partridege pea pods, so they might be C. nictitans, which I think has bigger pods, or possibly Cassia marilandica/wild senna.
    The second picture is Cassia obtusifolia/sicklepod, a non-native "weed" that I like, because it's such a popular host plant for cloudless sulphurs, sleepy oranges and little yellows.
    I just gathered seeds from my one little partridge pea plant, which I threw out in what I hope is a suitable place for them. Partridge pea is also supposed to be a host for the above three mentioned butterflies, but they've not used mine.
    Sherry

• imabirdnut
    12 years ago

I just recently collected some seeds from a friend's yard that look very similar to the first seeds...they are Goldenball Leadtree (Leaucaena retusa). Not sure if it is a host plant but it also is in the Fabaceae family.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

The top one looks like it came from a Mimosa tree.

You are probably in zone 6. If you add it to your profile info, it will show up next to your name automatically when you post on these forums.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

I have mimosa trees, and, although the seed pod looks right, mimosa seeds are much bigger than those in the picture.
    Sherry

• imabirdnut
    12 years ago

I went back & looked at the pictures & am wondering if the seeds from the first set of pods are "hairy"? If so...they look a lot like the seed pods from a tree that I have...Desert Willow(Chilopsis linearis).
    I may be all wrong because these are plants that grow in my area!

• FshyPlnts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey,
    Thanks for the help so-far. The first seeds definitely seem to be from a partridge pea. The second seeds don't seem to be from a sicklepod though? From what I was looking at online, the seeds from the sickle-pod are larger, solid seeds. The seeds I collected are air-dispersed, and look very much like a dandelion seed (just a bit bigger).

Here is a link that might be useful: Envi Sci and Fishy Plants

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Sicklepod seeds definitely don't look like dandelion seeds, they look like partridge pea seeds. I have no clue what the "sicklepod" could really been, then, unless maybe it's some type of milkweed.
    Sherry

12 years ago

Thanks, Sherry! I thought the 2nd looked like some type of milkweed, but not any kind I've grown before. Maybe the actual seed part isn't ripe yet and that's why they are so small, the pods aren't opening yet.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Milkweed does have airborne seeds with the fluffy white stuff around each seed.
    Sherry

• FshyPlnts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The seed pods in the second picture are completely ripe. They were dry and breaking open on the plant (which is why I gathered some). I don't think it could be milkweed as the pods are much smaller than any milkweed I am familiar with. The plant was very large, almost bush-like if I remember properly, I am sorry I am not able to remember more details, I may be able to make a trip back to the garden and take some pictures of the plant. I'll see what I can do! Thanks again for all the discussion, I am learning alot!

12 years ago

Yes, Sherry, that's what I meant, the seed part attached to the expected fuzz looks too small to be viable although it does look fairly well-proportioned to the size of the fuzz. Would a pod full of unfertilized duds look like that? Maybe they are less-full-than-usual pods. Asclepias tuberosa is hardy in zone 6 and makes skinnier pods than some of the others. Fshy, since you saw the whole plant, maybe looking at search pics would help you decide.

Did the owner of the garden not know what they were? Color of flowers? All Asclepias have white sap if you break a leaf or stem, so that can be a clue in future investigations.

Scroll down to see the primrose seed pods. An unlikely match since the pic is from CO and you're in PA, but it may help jog your memory somehow.

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure the second seeds are fleabane, a member of the same family as milkweed, but not a larval host plant. Actually, fleabane is mistaken for milkweed and can be toxic to Monarchs. Fleabane is found around ponds and provides nectar for butterflies and other insects. It can be invasive.

Sandy

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Too bad there is not a delete button on the butterfly forum! Wrong bane--Dogbane, not fleabane. Everything else is about Dogbane. Fleabane is in the aster family. AAARRRGGGHHH, got to get some new circuits in the brain!

• FshyPlnts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey butterflymomok,
    The seed pods look very much like that of a dogbane. And the plant seems similar as well. I'll try to germinate some of the seeds to see if they are viable or not. I'll let you all know how it goes!

• FshyPlnts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just a follow-up. The seeds did germinate and seem to be fine!

12 years ago

Cool. Good luck!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES