Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhizo_1

Where is Miss Sherry?

Hello all. I used to be a frequent participant in this forum when butterfly gardening was the focus but lost enthusiasm when the primary interest became centered on the raising of moths and butterflies in cages. But I was a steadfast lurker for years, mostly because of Sherry and a few others.

I'd very much like to catch up with her, if possible. I haven't seen her in here in quite some time, even before the Butterfly Garden Forum became the woollybear dog and pony show, lol.

If anyone can steer me in the right direction, contact me via 'my page'.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Have you tried emailing her from her page?

• irishguy24
    9 years ago

Rhizo, I posted a similar message about a month ago. She was such a staple of this forum and a wealth of information. I do hope she is OK. Not like her to be gone for such a long period of time with no explanation. It's funny, even though most of us have never met, you develop friendships over the years, and I know she was a friend to many here. If anyone knows, please let us know!

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

Thanks for asking about me rhizo! And it's good to see your name again, IrishGuy!

I'm still here, and everything's alright. I've been busy taking care of a new puppy. He's now 5 months old, and he's taking less of my time now, but he's still like a caterpillar, an eating and pooping (and peeing!) machine!

I had a strange growth on my leg, so I went to a nurse practitioner in May, she referred me to a surgeon, he removed it, and it was squamous cell carcinoma, one of the most benign malignancies you can get, if you know what I mean. Still, it took time to tend to it. I'm still taking care of my other 3 dogs (and my daughter's 2 dogs, when she needs a sitter) plus my usual household and gardening chores. The nurse and surgeon thought I should have several other tests run, since it has been so long since I even had any blood work done. I'm happy to report I'm very healthy for a woman my age (66) just the usual aches and pains you get if you live long enough.

I've got a lot of chrysalides overwintering, mostly pipevine swallowtails, but a few spicebush swallowtails and one palamedes swallowtail, plus some luna moth cocoons and regal moth pupae. I've got two little gulf frit caterpillars I took from the vines outside before our first freeze of the season (early!) and put them on some volunteer passionvines in containers that I dug up several months ago. They're in my unheated guest room. These vines are for my daughter, along with some pipevines I dug for her. I'm hoping these cats will grow S-L-O-W-L-Y like some gulf frit cats that overwintered outdoors naturally one year when we had a very warm winter. If they grow too fast and pupate, I'm afraid the chrysalides will die. But, it's worth a try, since they certainly couldn't withstand the temps we had a week or so ago.

I'm working a little at the time in my garden on nice days, hoping I can get it in order for spring. When spring arrives, and the chrysalides and cocoons emerge, I'm sure I'll be posting a lot once more!

Sherry

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, yay! I'm so glad to 'see' you again, Sherry. I'm glad to know that all is well with you. The skin cancer scare must have thrown you for a loop for awhile; am happy that it turned out to be something easily removed.

Reminds me to have myself checked for skin cancer. Having spent the better part of my life in the sun.....

It's great to see you again.

• Tom
    9 years ago

So good to see that you are back, Miss Sherry. You bring so much to this forum. You have been missed!

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

Thanks again, rhizo! I've spent the better part of my life in the sun, too, and I had a horrible burn in Acapulco, Mexico, in 1964 - they say if you've ever had a severe burn, you're much more likely to get skin cancer. And what with gardening, butterfly and bird watching, I've gotten SO much sun in my lifetime. When I was young, they never told you the sun was dangerous, and, even after I knew better, I didn't properly protect my skin. All the butterflyers on this forum probably get too much sun, too, and should protect their skin.

Tom, thanks for the kind words!

Last year, I only got ONE red admiral caterpillar in early spring. I typically release at least 20 or 25 RAs, usually more. Others on this forum didn't have any RAs at all. I've been working outside in this nice weather, and I saw two RAs twirling upwards. 'Don't know if this was an aggressive twirl or mating 'dance' but, since RAs overwinter here, let's hope it bodes better things for next spring!

Sherry

• bernergrrl
    9 years ago

So relieved that you are doing well MissSherry!!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

I'm a frequent lurker here too and am glad to hear you're doing well, Miss Sherry.

• linda_tx8
    9 years ago

Glad to see you posting again, Miss Sherry!

• Liz
    9 years ago

I am rather late to this party, but I just got around to checking the forum after a long absence.I specifically came back to see if Miss Sherry had returned. It's snowing here and the butterflies are long gone!

I am so glad to see you back, Sherry, and so glad you are okay. This forum just wouldn't be the same without you.

• dragonflydee
    9 years ago

Glad to see you back,Sherry!
    I also posted after the storms and I was wondering
    How you had got on since there was damage posted
    In your state.

I hope you will continue to do well in your recovery.

DD

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    9 years ago

Hi Miss Sherry,

I'm a lurker who enjoys reading your posts & I'm so glad that you are ok. I have some quick questions.

I saw your post last spring recommending Salvia guaranitica 'Betsy's Choice,' which survived the harsh winter of 2013-14 at your house, whereas you said some of your other plants didn't make it. I hope I am not misquoting you.

When it gets a little warmer I'm thinking of getting Betsy's Choice from Donna Vincent at Vincent Gardens, who has told me that she has it in stock. No tubers! Compared to the reported huge tubers of Black & Blue. Are you still happy with Betsy's Choice & recommending it?

I know it attracts hummers. Is it a nectar plant for BF's as well? All BFâÂÂs or only certain ones? What's the lowest temp that Betsy's Choice survived at your house?

Thanks for your time! So glad to see your posts!

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz