Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gulf Fritillary orphan

Posted by bethpierce77 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 20:08

Help! Today, a Gulf Fritillary eclosed, and the weather is chilly here. When I tried to let him fly out of the mesh cage, he just wouldn't. I took him on my finger to some lantana, but he just perched there without budging. I broke off a piece of the lantana, and brought him inside on it, but so far, he has not made any effort to "thaw out" or move around. He's still alive, but I don't know what to do to help him live. He's in a small mesh cage on the lantana flower. Any ideas? Beth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gulf Fritillary orphan

What is his lifespan do you think? Maybe he'll have to become a pet if he has a short lifespan.

o

Try a new plastic dish scrubber sitting in a dish of Hummingbird nectar and see what happens.
This method was very effective at our annual butterfly show at our Olbrich Gardens here in Madison, WI. Lots of sunshine and warmth will bring him around too.

o

Sometimes they don't too much the first day of eclosing. How is it today?

You all are so lucky with your late season projects! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here