Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monarch cats dying

Posted by rickinla 8B (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 20:53

My brother-in law volunteers at the Sea Lab at Dauphin Island where they have milkweed planted for the Monarchs. He noticed a cat that had died on one of the milkweeds and asked the lady who maintains the garden about the dead cat. She said that she noticed quite a few cats dying this year, and had no idea why they were dying. Any ideas what is causing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monarch cats dying

Rickinla,

Since the cats are outside, I would guess that they are being preyed upon by spiders. I had a spider get inside the enclosure and the cat was deflated and limp from the spider. OE spore can also affect them, but I haven't seen that happen outside in my garden, but I have heard of other people seeing this.

I am saddened that the caterpillars are dying in a designated area for aiding them.

Mechelle

o

There are a lot of things that kill caterpillars. Even monarchs, that are protected by toxic chemicals, fall victim to parasitoid flies, predatory wasps, spiders, disease, and stink bugs. I find that in the caterpillar stage, Three things kill them the most. One is OE ophryocystic electroscirrha) a protozoan parasite. Studies show that in late summer, most adults are infected. If the infection load is heavy enough, caterpillars will start to die. The second is parasitoid flies or tachinid flies. Some studies show that around 25% of monarchs are infected. This will typically affect the pupal (chrysalis) stage. Interestingly enough, one theory about OE is that it offers a benefit to monarchs by preventing parasitoid flies and wasps from using monarchs. The third is predatory stinkbugs. If I see a monarch caterpillar hanging dead from the milkweed, I can usually find a stinkbug nymph close-by. They pierce the cuticle of the caterpillar, inject a venom and enzymes and suck out the contents. Sometimes the victim looks a little deflated or not.

-Elisabeth

o

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it along.

o

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it along.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here