Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lokan_gw

Moth Cocoon - To Open or Not?

Lokan
12 years ago

Hello, I have an urgent question to ask.

I believe I have a polyphemus geometrid moth on my hands. I got him when he was a fat caterpillar. I closed him up in a container with leaves, bark and water and dirt. A few days later, a silk cocoon had taken its place.

This was around 8, 9 weeks ago. So, around August, September.

Yesterday, I started packing my things to get ready to move. Thinking the moth had died inside or something, I began delicately removing the cocoon from its attachment to the container so I could give the container back to a friend (he keeps crickets in it). At this point I was surprised to find the cocoon inhabited! It wiggled and jumped; I could feel the virbations through the container lid.

I placed the cocoon in a ventillated jar today and began doing research. I've read some contradictory things, but I can't come up with any real answers.

In short, the question is this: the cocoon is very, very hard. Should I be helping him out of there, or let him stay?

I read some moths go into hibernation. Have I woken him up? Will he go dormant again? Or is it time to spring him?

I split open the cocoon ever so slightly, not enough for him to escape, and can definitely see something inside. I can distinguish the patterning of a geometrid, but I can't tell if I'm looking at his back end or front -- if either has developed yet!

I've watched over this little guy for a while, but I don't want to mess up his chances at living or flying. Please help out! =]

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery