Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Common Mestra

Posted by linda_tx8 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 22:56

I posted two shots of one on the gallery. Has been a few years since I last saw them! Woohoo!

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Mestra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Common Mestra

Very pretty, Linda! I love it when you guys post some of the less commonly seen, but beautiful, butterflies on this forum. What is their host plant? I think they are found in southwestern Oklahoma on occasion, too, but don't know any of our members that are from there.

South Texas is a wonderland of butterflies!

Susan

o

That's just beautiful, Linda! I had to look it up to find out what it was, but then that happens sometimes with south Texas butterflies. My book lists the host plant as being noseburns, which I've never heard of either!

Thanks for posting!

Sherry

o

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing the photos with us so we can dream about another butterfly!

o

Thanks! Yes, it's Noseburn, Tragia sp. In the Urticaceae family, so it's not surprising that it's a stinging plant...been stung from time to time. I've got some smaller Tragia plants on the property, not as many as before all those years of drought. I've never actually seen a caterpillar, however. I'd like to see them someday! When it's warm, the butterflies always seem to be flying around looking for something...I had to stalk them most of the day to get a pic.

o

Not "common" here. I've never seen one. We do have them on the map at least for Missouri.

o

It's interesting that it is called "Common"!!!???
It occasionaly strays up to North Texas but very rarely! I also had never heard of noseburn & looked it up! Tragia ramosa is listed as it's host on the Dallas Butterly site & is part of the Spurge family.
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing! Glad you are seeing them again!
Take care,
Lila

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here