Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_tx8

Common Mestra

linda_tx8
11 years ago

I posted two shots of one on the gallery. Has been a few years since I last saw them! Woohoo!

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Mestra

Comments (6)

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Very pretty, Linda! I love it when you guys post some of the less commonly seen, but beautiful, butterflies on this forum. What is their host plant? I think they are found in southwestern Oklahoma on occasion, too, but don't know any of our members that are from there.

South Texas is a wonderland of butterflies!

Susan

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

That's just beautiful, Linda! I had to look it up to find out what it was, but then that happens sometimes with south Texas butterflies. My book lists the host plant as being noseburns, which I've never heard of either!

Thanks for posting!

Sherry

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing the photos with us so we can dream about another butterfly!

• linda_tx8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Yes, it's Noseburn, Tragia sp. In the Urticaceae family, so it's not surprising that it's a stinging plant...been stung from time to time. I've got some smaller Tragia plants on the property, not as many as before all those years of drought. I've never actually seen a caterpillar, however. I'd like to see them someday! When it's warm, the butterflies always seem to be flying around looking for something...I had to stalk them most of the day to get a pic.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Not "common" here. I've never seen one. We do have them on the map at least for Missouri.

• imabirdnut
    11 years ago

It's interesting that it is called "Common"!!!???
    It occasionaly strays up to North Texas but very rarely! I also had never heard of noseburn & looked it up! Tragia ramosa is listed as it's host on the Dallas Butterly site & is part of the Spurge family.
    Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing! Glad you are seeing them again!
    Take care,
    Lila

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County