Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coloration of Sulpher Chrysalis

Posted by Gyr_Falcon Sunset 23 USDA 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 0:29

My small Senna bicapsularis 'Worley's Butter Cream' bush has attracted the attention of Sulphur butterflies this year. I am aware the cats are yellow if they feed on flowers and greenish for foliage, although currently the flowers are gone and the yellow cats really stand out against the green leaves!

I have seen photos of the chrysalis varying in color from green to pinkish. One I found on the bush is very green and blends in; another on a Phormium 'Guardsman' is quite reddish. So I was wondering, does the location of the chrysalis also help to determine the color or was it just a coincidence?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coloration of Sulpher Chrysalis

(Because it is easier to just upload from the PC, I had to put this photo in a separate post.)

The prep stage lasted for several days, and I was beginning to worry. But as you can see above, it resulted in a lovely-colored one!

o

Many species of butterfly chrysalis camouflage to match their background attachment. Colder temperatures can make the chrysalis and caterpillars darker in color so that they can absorb more heat. I've seen the butterflies that emerging in colder temps also taking a darker color on their wings.

o

What a beautiful chrysalis! I've had green ones, yellow ones, and pink ones, but never one that dark!

I agree, it's most likely the cooler weather that made it so dark, but it might be the background, too - the only white variegated frit chrsyalides I've had pupated on the underside of a white paper towel.

Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here