Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcclark_of_gardenweb

Wagner book out of print?

I was buying some books off Amazon and saw Wagner's book (Caterpillars of Eastern North America: A Guide to Identification and Natural History) as a suggestion. The price of $53.78 surprised me (list is $29.99). Looked and found that the next lowest price is $113.95. Wow! Looked around at other book sites and saw that $50+ was the going rate for a new book. Did find that one seller seems to be able to sell them for $26 on Ebay when he/she has them available.

If you want a copy or a second copy, I suggest keeping an eye out for the cheap copies on Ebay.

KC

Comments (11)

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

Wow! Glad I have that book already. Just purchased my first "expensive" butterfly guide, Butterflies of Thailand. Bioquip offered it at an introductory rate. Now I can ID those photos I take when I visit the grandkids in Laos. I'm eyeing a Butterflies of Tanzania book. Hope to get back there someday. While browsing the books on Bioquip, I couldn't believe some of the prices. More than I can afford!

Sandy

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Amazon is up to $158 now. Saw one for $900 on another site. Looks like Ebook is the way to go now, if you do Ebooks. I don't. I want a backup paperback copy since my main copy is pretty beatup.

Did find a nice list of moth books at the Moth Photographers website. Link is below. On that list, I found "The Wild Silk Moths of North America" by Tuskes, Tuttle, and Collins. Looks very interesting but I could not find any for sale. Ohio State Library has it so I'm picking up their copy. Part of it is on Google books if you want to take a peek.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moth Photographers Group - book listing

• bananasinohio
    11 years ago

Wow!!! Now I am mad that I didn't hear him speak and get him to sign the book. It could be worth $910 then! That is ridiculous. It is really rare for books this new to be that expensive.

Elisabeth

Original Author
    11 years ago

Elisabeth,
    David Wagner will be here in June. Make Mothapalooza part of your vacation plans now!!

I went to hear Jim McCormac speak on Monday night and he did a plug for Mothapalooza. First I had heard about it. You are familiar with the 3rd headliner too. :)

KC

Here is a link that might be useful: Mothapalooza 2013!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Was at a Barnes & Noble today with the Boss. They had a copy of THE book for the $29.99 list price. I grabbed it but then it was grabbed from me. Turns out a "like new" used copy is one of my Christmas presents. She paid $35 plus shipping for it but has not received it yet so I have not seen what "like new" looks like.

• bananasinohio
    11 years ago

KC;
    Oh wow! That looks great! I will have to try to go. I am having foot surgery in March and it may curtail a lot of my field work this summer. Time will tell.

So, you will be speaking? That is awesome!

Elisabeth

Original Author
    11 years ago

Elisabeth,
    I'm just hoping I can go. Thought it would work out great with my family but when I talked to the Boss, I was reminded that a trip to Tennessee is our official vacation destination. Time will tell.

KC

Original Author
    11 years ago

I ordered the book from the publisher maybe a week ago. Figured I'd be getting an email that the book was history. Today, I finally received an email from them about my order and it included a tracking number. :) So, you can order it straight from the publisher for $29.99 list plus $4 shipping.

Decided to look at Amazon before I posted this. Amazon now has them in stock for $19.77. That is good news.

I apologize if anyone overpaid for one of these books because of my posts. My family has overpaid for 2 of them. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Princeton Press

• dragonflydee
    11 years ago

My oldest book is H.L. Lewis Butterflies of the World...the big green hardback.I think it is a repub?( I don't have the jacket) by Crescent out of New York.I do have other books,but not a great many.
    What I do have is a nice group of backyard locals( Butterflies), not so many as some ,but I live in the mixed hardwoods of the Southeast in Alabama
    ( Coffee county) abt.90 miles from the gulf.The location is not so bad for butterfly life cycles...remote,dirt road,private.There are Cypress swamps very close,also horse and cattle pastures.The river is close enough to bike to in maybe 45 minutes.
    The big attraction here when it warms up is the big Bull Thistle.A lot of the butterflies visit them to nectar.
    Now that I am retired,I have been working on some plantings for these butterflies
    DD.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I recommend the book "Butterflies of Alabama - Glimpses into Their Lives."

Here is a link that might be useful: KC writes about Butterflies of Alabama

This post was edited by kcclark on Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 22:08

• bananasinohio
    11 years ago

The only thing I did was order a couple copies from Booksamillion at $13 a copy. However, they were back ordered. So, I don't know if I will ever get them.

Elisabeth

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!