Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Globalized Gardening Reported As a World Trend

Posted by Monarch-Ma-so.cal 10 Southern CA. (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 2:43

From the Huffington Post, (July, 2013)

This is a very interesting but alarming article re Globalized Gardening--the planting of non native plants as a world trend and that it's taking a severe toll on birds and pollinator species worldwide.

Some excerpts:

"During a recent stay in Bures-sur-Yvette, France, I was struck by the fact that many of the front and back yards looked the same as those in Southern California. I hadn't expected this. France is known for being a bastion of regional character, but globalization is happening to gardens even in France. And just like the United States, France is paying a huge price in loss of its own natural beauty, biodiversity and numbers of birds, butterflies and other pollinators.

What's so bad about this globalization? The plants are pretty and can grow in the regions where they're being sold, so what's the fuss?

The fuss is that bird and pollinator species are suffering drastic declines due to loss of native plant habitat. In Europe, the overall population of farmland bird species has fallen by more than 50 percent since 1980. In the United States, many bird populations have fallen between 60-90 percent since 1970. Native bee populations in England are suffering similar declines.

The fuss is that 96 percent of birds feed insects to their young and 90 percent of all insect species that eat leaves can eat ONLY native plants........."

I thought it would be of great interest to any gardener or anyone who loves nature's critters.. This is a much needed head's up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Because It'll Grow in Your Yard Doesn't Mean You Should Plant It

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Globalized Gardening Reported As a World Trend

More evidence of the influence and danger of multinational agricultural companies and their advertising and market control. I'm very interested in encouraging a grassroots/underground native seed and plant exchange that can produce and distribute native plants at a fraction of the cost of retail mono cultures. I plan to wintersow a huge surplus this year and see if my kids can set up a table at the farmers' market a few times next spring and sell native seedlings. Or just set up a table at the end of our drive. As long as they could still hook up to the internet, they'd be happy sitting under a tree in good weather. Plus, they want to earn money for their high school band trips and gas money. I don't expect the plants to be profitable, but I'm going to end up paying for part of their trips anyway, so I may as well have them do a little work for me in the process.
I'm also going to do all I can to collect as many seeds as possible to participate in seed exchanges and contribute native alternatives for others to try in their gardens. I also make sure to purchase both seeds and more difficult plants from reputable native plant retailers to support them.

Hope everyone is safe and warm this beautiful Christmas morning. Wishing all a peaceful New Year.

Martha

o
RE: Globalized Gardening Reported As a World Trend

Monarch, thanks for the info. I know invasive species is a bad problem. I know look at the seeds before I buy, but I am guilty like most. I am sucker for a beautiful flower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here