Butterflies on..... Granum igneus

ladobe
13 years ago

Parnassius phoebus maximus

{{gwi:552630}}

Comments (8)

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

Something tells me yours will be the only picture in this series, Larry! :)
    Beautiful and unusual butterfly!
    Sherry

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Cool Ladobe!
    I think Sherry's right.
    Were you traveling when you took that photo?

• ladobe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sherry,
    LOL... I was hoping somebody would try to figure out what Granum igneus was before looking at the picture. Nobody else does Latin here I guess. The Parnassinae of the world were my number one specialty for about 3 of the 4 decades I actively did lepidoptera, so I did travel extensively for them.

Christie,
    I can't remember exactly where I took this picture for sure, but it would have been either at 9,500'- 11,000' on the Wyoming portion of the Bear Tooth Plateau, or at over 11,500' feet on the Hell Roaring Plateau in Montana near there. My family and I camped that area (mostly at 10,000' or higher) for three alpine summers (about 6 weeks) determining, rearing and photographing all of the arctic/alpine lepidopteran species of that area. Our species/subspeices count for the three years was 170 or 171.

Larry

• bob_71
    13 years ago

Larry, I thought the translation on this one was pretty evident...igneous rock/granite=granite rock.

Bob

• ladobe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bob,

{{gwi:552632}}

Larry

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

Well, granum igneus is pretty loose Latin!

The rock pictured above is certainly granitic in origin, but is likely a gneiss or even a schist, as the Montana locations are composed of some very old rocks.

(My rock collection resides just below my insect collection)

Up here the parnassians are a welcome contrast from the abundance of fritillaries in the mountains.

• ladobe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was a joke Larry, not a taxonomic dissertation. The good folks here are most likely not geologists or mineralologists.

Rockhounding and lapidary, gem, mineral and fossil collecting as well as mine and cave spelunking took up a fair part of my free time from my youth for 30 odd years as well. Still have some of my fossils, mineral and gem specimens and three large trunk sections of petrified wood that take two to three men on steroids to pick up. LOL

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

The humor of using binomial Latin nomenclature for a rock was not lost on me.

Your photo is a good example that insects and rocks both have their metamorphic stages, although on quite a different time scale!

Sponsored