o
Butterflies on..... Granum igneus

Posted by ladobe (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 15, 10 at 3:40

Parnassius phoebus maximus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterflies on..... Granum igneus

Something tells me yours will be the only picture in this series, Larry! :)
Beautiful and unusual butterfly!
Sherry

o

Cool Ladobe!
I think Sherry's right.
Were you traveling when you took that photo?

o

Sherry,
LOL... I was hoping somebody would try to figure out what Granum igneus was before looking at the picture. Nobody else does Latin here I guess. The Parnassinae of the world were my number one specialty for about 3 of the 4 decades I actively did lepidoptera, so I did travel extensively for them.

Christie,
I can't remember exactly where I took this picture for sure, but it would have been either at 9,500'- 11,000' on the Wyoming portion of the Bear Tooth Plateau, or at over 11,500' feet on the Hell Roaring Plateau in Montana near there. My family and I camped that area (mostly at 10,000' or higher) for three alpine summers (about 6 weeks) determining, rearing and photographing all of the arctic/alpine lepidopteran species of that area. Our species/subspeices count for the three years was 170 or 171.

Larry

o

Larry, I thought the translation on this one was pretty evident...igneous rock/granite=granite rock.

Bob

o

Bob,

Larry

o

Well, granum igneus is pretty loose Latin!

The rock pictured above is certainly granitic in origin, but is likely a gneiss or even a schist, as the Montana locations are composed of some very old rocks.

(My rock collection resides just below my insect collection)

Up here the parnassians are a welcome contrast from the abundance of fritillaries in the mountains.

o

It was a joke Larry, not a taxonomic dissertation. The good folks here are most likely not geologists or mineralologists.

Rockhounding and lapidary, gem, mineral and fossil collecting as well as mine and cave spelunking took up a fair part of my free time from my youth for 30 odd years as well. Still have some of my fossils, mineral and gem specimens and three large trunk sections of petrified wood that take two to three men on steroids to pick up. LOL

o

The humor of using binomial Latin nomenclature for a rock was not lost on me.

Your photo is a good example that insects and rocks both have their metamorphic stages, although on quite a different time scale!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here