Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Someone asked what kind of camera I have

christie_sw_mo
13 years ago

I have a point and shoot Sony Cyber-Shot but I've had it for about 3 years so the model I have isn't available anymore. I think it was around $250. I looked for one with a good zoom lens, and one that had a good macro lens for taking pictures of small subjects (like bugs) up close. Sometimes, the butterflies will let me get close enough to use the macro lens.

Cannon Powershots get good ratings too. There are lots of different models of Powershots and Cyber-Shots and the prices vary quite a bit for the different models. There are tons of reviews on the web but some are biased and most are snobbish. They don't like to admit that a $200 camera can take excellent photos. A lot of the articles are outdated too.

If you have access to Consumer Reports (check the library), the December 2010 issue has reviews on Basic Cameras. That one will be current enough so you could find the models that are mentioned in the article. It should show prices and give good unbiased ratings. I can see the title of the article through my library's website but it won't let me access the text yet because it's too current. Copy the article while you're at the library, then see which specific models you can find on Bestbuy.com.

The same issue has reviews on more expensive cameras too. If I had a bunch of money to spend, I'd like to have one that took good photos of MOVING targets like hummingbirds or butterflies in flight. My camera wouldn't score well in that catagory.

Comments (3)

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info Christie! It was me who asked. I actually already own a Canon Powershot SX200IS, and I like it pretty well. It just seems to me that other people's shots are always so much better than mine. I will keep practicing, and maybe I will get better. ~~Angie :o)

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I have a lot more bad shots than good shots. It would help if the butterflies would hold still.

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

I have a Kodak something or other, but wanted to mention that it has a Sports mode on it. At Grandparents Day at my GD's school, I was able to take freeze photos of the kids playing on the playground, and they came out beautifully! I love it. I will have to employ it now in the garden in that mode to see if it will do the same with butterflies, moths, and hummingbirds.

This camera was about $150 and has a 10X zoom lens as well. It's not great at stablizing images unless you have a tripod, though. I think the Model is a Z950 or something. It is a larger camera, which I like as an older person. Much easier to handle. With the smaller models I always find myself hitting the wrong button.

Susan