Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monarchs and Migration - a question

Posted by bananasinohio (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 9:49

Hello;
I have been reading about the genes involved in Monarch Migration. Some of you have reported seeing laying Monarchs during migration. I am curious to know what months you have observed this and the location.

Thanks,
Elisabeth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monarchs and Migration - a question

I can only speak to the fall migration south. (Can't remember much about spring.) I live in North Texas in a suburb between Dallas and Ft. Worth. Monarchs come through here in September and early October. I did see a few Monarchs in late October. This year my last Monarch eclosed on Thanksgiving day! The Monarchs may be coming through even later, though. Last year at my school in Arlington, we had Monarch cats on the tropical milkweed in early December which meant that Monarchs were passing through here in November 2011. FYI-Fall 2011 and 2012 were exceptionally warm. We have not yet had a killing frost in Bedford where I live. Maybe next week according to the weather reports...

o
RE: Monarchs and Migration - a question

That is interesting. The fact that they were on tropical milkweed is very interesting.
Thanks,
Elisabeth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here