Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom123_gw

Any butterflies around?

Tom
10 years ago

While it's been freezing in areas up north here in Central Florida we have experienced a mini heat wave. The temps are supposed to get to 85 today and then next few days. As a result I am still seeing a lot of butterflies. There are monarchs, fritillaries and zebra longwings in abundance. I still see some sulphurs, skippers and some of the smaller butterflies as well.

It's been warm in southern Mississippi, Sherry, no?

I'd be interested in hearing about anyone else who is still seeing some butterflies.

Comments (2)

• hawaiiponder34
    10 years ago

Oh yes, Monarchs, Gulf frits, cabbage white, Large orange sulfur, Chinese swallowtails are all over the place!. I guess because we been having an on and off rain, and the weather is just right, sunny 70s to mid low 80s, and we been dipping at mid 60s at night. Everything is so green and flowers are blooming, so much like Spring time, Im loving it!

• sanmob
    10 years ago

There are many, many people who love to watch butterflies as they flit through the air slowly and gracefully. If you never have, you certainly should! Butterflies provide beauty in an often ugly world. They give us insight into the world of nature and how wonderful and complex it is. But the butterfly is much more than that.
    Butterflies are some of the most beautiful and interesting creatures on Earth. A butterfly garden is an easy way to see more butterflies and to help them, since many natural butterfly habitats have been lost to human activities like building homes, roads and farms. It is easy to increase the number and variety of butterflies in your yard.
    Creating a butterfly garden should start with some serious research to learn which kinds of butterflies are native to your area. You can learn that from this book âÂÂAttract Butterflies To Your GardenâÂÂ.
    Here are some points you should focus:
    A. Make a list of all of the different kinds of butterflies you would like to attract, and then learn which flowers and plants they both feed on and lay eggs on.
    B. Plant the âÂÂButterfly Host Plantsâ to lay their eggs on.
    C. You can add some butterfly garden accessories like a Butterfly House, which has slots the ideal size for keeping birds out while giving butterflies protection from the wind and weather, and are beautiful garden decorations. You could offer an additional nectar source close by to supplement your flowers.
    D. Once you have designed and started your butterfly garden, you can be proud that you have made a habitat for butterflies in your own yard, which helps with the conservation of the many species of quickly disappearing butterflies today. You will certainly want to place your favorite outdoor furniture near so that you can enjoy all of your visitors day after day.

Here is a link that might be useful: Attract Butterflies To Your Garden

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!