Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Other beneficial Pollinators

docmom_gw
10 years ago

I have been doing some additional reading on the dangerous declines in honey bees and other valuable pollinators. The entire insect situation is approaching levels where pollination of basic food-stuffs could be threatened. So, entomologists (bug folk) are looking at ways to protect and encourage native bees (honey bees were introduced from Europe). Most nest in the ground, but many use old logs and holes left in trees by beetles and woodpeckers. But, there aren't enough convenient holes, since there aren't as many beetles and woodpeckers. So, there are instructions for building nests or drilling holes in existing trees and downed logs. I thought that would be a fun, easy project for those of us in the north who can't do any gardening. I was actually thinking I could get some kids from my daughter's high school to go into our community parks and do some drilling. What high school kid wouldn't love to be set loose in the woods with a power drill?

Hope everyone is well as we enter into winter. I'm getting ready to start wintersowing soon,

Martha

Comments (2)

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

What great info! Thx for posting it Martha.

• Monarch-Ma-so.cal
    10 years ago

I would have never guessed that bees nest in the ground. That's an excellent idea to drill holes in trees for them.

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus