Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Infographic about Monarchs

Posted by bernergrrl z5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 10:32

Hi everyone,

Made an infographic to help the Monarchs. If you see anything that needs changing, let me know, and I'll see if I can do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Save the Monarchs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Infographic about Monarchs

The text "International Union for COnservation of Nature" contains a capital O that may be in error.

The text "Monarch's migratory phenomenon" should read "Monarchs' ", to be consistent with the correct " students' " text lower in the graphic.

The Monarch image element has a filesize of over 1 megabyte and is slow to render, a distraction when first encountering the graphic online. The image size is 1638x1177 pixels, and that would fill most computer screens.
You have used Piktochart to render it as 255x185 pixels on a computer screen, and the original image file should be resized to that prior to placing it in the graphic.

If the entire graphic is intended mainly to be used as a printed material, then of course the image should stay large for print quality.

I noticed that the graphic rendered differently in various web browsers. This may not be a problem as it looked OK in IE and FireFox browsers, that would be over 90% of your readers.

o

Thanks Larry Gene! Helps to have those eyes and all that techical info from you. Not sure about how to deal with the image resolution. I will have to work on it later--some people think the word extinction of the migration is too strong.

o

Just looked at it again, and I think the "Monarch's" is okay because the species is being discussed, so singular? I think?

o

Tough call on that apostrophe. Running that text through MS Word with grammar check could get a preferred solution.

The image is easily dealt with using any image manipulation program--even MS Paint would work. Just "resize" the image to 255x185 and save to a different filename and insert that in the graphic. The filesize will end up a lot smaller.

In an Opera browser, the image broke your graphic and filled the entire horizontal area and appeared magnified. In browsers where the final graphic looks OK, the graphic can jump around during the time it takes the image to fill out.

As far as the politics/opinions of the wording goes, the compromises are up to you!

This post was edited by larry_gene on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 23:57

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here