Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eclecticgardener

Late butterfly caterpillars Texas Discovery Gardens takes them!

eclecticgardener
12 years ago

If you find yourself in the Dallas area and need to take your caterpillars or butterflies somewhere where they can feed and take care of them, please contact the Texas Discovery Gardens.

They have a climate controlled place to raise and take care of them for you.

Texas Discovery Gardens

Fair Park, Dallas Texas

Phone number:

214-428-7476 Ext 341

I am so happy to have found that they will take my Monarch's!

There is an entomologist there named Joe. He works Tue. - Sat. 10-5 if you want to learn more about raising butterflies, but it is my understanding that anyone there will take your cats/butterflies/pupa or whatever, from you. :)

Since I don't want to seem as if I am spamming the site, I most probably won't be posting this again, so please.... help pass this on to anyone who may need it.

Thanks,

EG

Comments (3)

• imabirdnut
    12 years ago

Thanks for the heads up! I might need to take my crysalids to them...I still have about a dozen that I moved to the garage until it gets warmer.
    I bought several great butterfly plants from their Fall Plant Sale this year. They will also have a sale in the spring!
    I bought a Prickly Ash, 2 Hop Ash Trees, an Acerola Cherry, & a False Nettle plant this past November for my butterfly gardens.

• imabirdnut
    12 years ago

Well, I'm headed to Dallas today to take 3 newly eclosed Monarchs as well as some more crysalids. I was hoping for warmer weather so I could release them but now that it is...it is raining! Also, I don't have practically any nectar for them in my yard...only a few pansies & a little Alyssum. All my flowers have died because of freezes!
    Thanks for posting the phone extension!

• imabirdnut
    12 years ago

I arrived at TDG just before noon today & the entomologist took the 3 adults as well as the last 5 healthy crysalids...I had a couple that weren't viable. He releases new BFs at noon everyday so they went out with several dozen Zebra Longwings & a bunch of other more tropical BFs...he had Malachites, Small Postman & several Scarlet Mormon(Papilio Rumanzovia) butterflies. He was also releasing a few of our native BFs...an Orange Barred Sulphur, a Sleepy Orange, & a BST along with my 3 Monarchs! Glad they have a new home with nectar available. He mentioned that if these are in "migratory" mode...they won't nectar & will fly to the top of the glass & try to get out...so they may not survive long if that's the case. He also mentioned that you were there last week, EG! He said this was a really weird Monarch migration because there were migrating Monarchs & mating Monarchs coming through North Texas at the same time.
    I have several PST crysalids but they will be fine until spring in my box in the garage. I am planning to plant a lot more A.fimbriata for them for 2012. They seem to prefer the tender leaves of A.fimbriata over my A.tormentosas. I'm hoping to get seeds of several other native pipevines for my garden as well for them.
    Take care, Lila

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarlet Mormon Info

Sponsored