Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is the latest time you can indoor sow milkweed

Posted by novicegardenerevan 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 14:03

i have always had trouble in finding the right time to sow seeds, particularly perennial seeds. I have always worried that if i sow my milkweed seeds( i am talking about the perennial varieties) too late that the seedlings cant withstand my winter and die. But after researching a bit it seems that gardeners even sow perennial seeds even in june relying on their young plants to come up next year. My main goal is to grow milkweed seedlings and eventually plants that can make it back next year. I live in the seattle area in WA and i have not stratified my seeds yet( oddly enough on the packet of asclepias tuberosa it says you need to soak it in hot water for 36 hours than sow at 70 f, no stratification)so i will probably do it for a month than sow around February.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is the latest time you can indoor sow milkweed

Your plans sound good to me. I don't think there is a latest time. I have some seed that germinated this past fall. I have them growing in the sunroom.

However, there is a best time to sow the seeds. I usually get them started in early February. These means that they have been stratified previous to that date. I start Tropical MW from early Feb through April. But, I use a lot of this, both in my garden and in sales at our local Farmer's Mkt. Common MW does really well with winter sowing. It takes two seasons to get Tuberosa to a good size. And I think a cold period would be good for these seeds--even winter sowing. I stratify my Tuberosa seeds.

The best source of info for seed starting is the Prairie Moon catalog. Can't beat it. And another source for info on just MW seeds is Butterfly Encounters.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Milkweed

o
RE: When is the latest time you can indoor sow milkweed

thank you! this info helped clear things out for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here