Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflyman

Park Seed - Old Seeds from Foreign Countries

butterflyman
12 years ago

I normally am very excited when I receive seeds for next years garden. When I received my Park Seed Co. seeds I was disappointed on two fronts.

1. Four of the five packages had dates of "Packed for 2011." In other words, these were last years seeds for planting in 2011. As a gardener you don't want old seeds as they have less of a chance of germinating.

2. All of the seeds are from foreign countries - Japan, France, Holland and Italy. It seems like we ought to be able to find a USA producer for things as simple as flower seeds.

What's up Park Seed?

Anyone else have similar problems?

Here is a link that might be useful: Park Seeds - what I got.

Comments (4)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

The US is a very minor player in the realm of flower seed production....not only today, but historically speaking. There are some field production facilities, but most come from France, Mexico, and Holland.

Indoor (greenhouse) production is a major enterprise in South and Central America, parts of Africa, Holland, and France.

Horticultural plant products such as plants, cut flowers, seeds, bulbs, etc. have always been an international affair.

The production of flower seeds is not at all simple. It requires an enormous amount of space and whether produced inside or in the field, rather exacting conditions. Very few people go into the business of producing seed for the commercial trade.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

It is still 2011, and most seeds will maintain their germination rate for several years, if dried properly and kept in a stable environment. I wouldn't worry about the date. And if we had everything produced in the USA, we'd be paying much higher prices. The world economy is a very complicated creature. I hope you have good results with your seeds in the spring. You could also write to the company and ask them to send you seeds from this year's crop. I'm sure they would do what ever it takes to make you happy.

Martha

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

There is a trend toward local sourcing for seeds, especially natives (obviously). I found one source, after a cursory search, for Local Harvest. They only sell seeds obtained from a network of farmers in the USA. Check out their Zinnias. Zinnias originated in Mexico, and quickly spread to Europe. It's hard to find local sources, except thru trades and probably very few seed companies that grow their own for commercial production.

Wish I had known you needed purple Gomphrena. I have tons and tons and tons of seeds. This was a great beneficials and small butterflies plant! The Reikirt's Blues and Hairstreaks adored it.

As to viability of last year's seeds, I totally concur with Marcha. I'm sure they are good seed still, assuming they were good to begin with. I have kept seed for several years, stored in less than stellar conditions, and still had them germinate. Germination rate may be slightly lower, but probably not by much.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Local Harvest seeds

• terrene
    12 years ago

Hi butterflyman, it seems that you will get seeds packed for the current year if you order them after the New Year (or so). I usually wait until January to order new seeds, and besides, it is a treat to fantasize about new seeds and all the lovely flowers in the dead of winter.

It's a little disappointing to get the previous year's seeds, but not a problem because it is likely they have been stored under optimal conditions. Besides, I should know better - I routinely germinate seeds that are 10 or 15 years old. The basil and parsley seeds I've used for the past 4 years were packed for 1998 and still germinate very well! The oldest seeds I've germinated recently were Zinnia seeds that were packed for 1992. I store all my seeds in a drawer the refrigerator, which extends their lifespan MUCH longer than at higher temps.

Sponsored