Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterflies on .... Verbena Bonariensis

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 11, 10 at 15:48

Since winter is a bit slow for butterfly fans, I thought I'd go through some old photos to post. I hope some others will join in and add some more photos if you're interested. We can see how many different species of butterflies we have photos of for each type of flower.

Let's see how many we can find for Verbena Bonariensis.

Easter Tiger Swallowtail
Photobucket

Variegated Fritillary
Photobucket

Monarch
Photobucket

Buckeye
Photobucket

It's perfectly fine with me if you post a photo of a butterfly that's already been posted.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterflies on .... Verbena Bonariensis

lovely pics.
Siam.

o

I love love love your pics!! I don't have this plant growing in my yard. I probably have some seed for it, and I should grow some next year. ~~Angie

o

I LOVE your idea for these threads. They are just what I need to help me through the slow butterfly times of winter. Hope MissSherry adds her pictures to this thread.

mike

o

A beautiful plant that blooms all season long in my garden.

Great pictures...all of you!

The skippers are all over it. Here is a Peck's (Polites peckius)

Probably had more visits by the Variegated Fritillary (Euoptoieta claudia) on this plant than any other.

One of my favorites...Cabbage White (Pieris rapae)

o

Beautiful Bob! It seems to be what the Variegated Frits like best in my yard too, also Buckeyes. Monarchs and Swallowtails visit it occasionally, but they gravitate toward my butterfly bush and zinnias more often.
Spicebush Swallowtail: (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Photobucket

o

Christie,

I think your butterfly is a female Easter Tiger Swallowtail. The Spicebush border dots are not white but have color to them. The female has a powder blue border, and the male has the pale jade border. I've included a link to a female Spicebush that I photographed this summer.

These butterflies are easy to confuse.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Female Spicebush Swallowtail

o

Thanks Sandy - Someday I'll learn to tell those apart.

Here's two I didn't post earlier because I wasn't sure on names, but I think...

Checkered White
Photobucket

Silver Spotted Skipper
Photobucket

o

Snowberry clearwing moth ...

Gulf fritillary ....

Black swallowtail ...

o

I've been trying to catalog my photos from this past year. Here's one of my favorite little guys:

Amblyscirtes nysa - Nysa Roadside-Skipper
Photobucket

Sandy

o

This little guy was flitting around this fall. Not 100% sure, but think this is an Eastern Tailed Blue. It had a pretty blue color on the upper side of the wings.

o

Rosalee - I just noticed how you can see the flowers so clearly through the wings of the moth. That is such a cool photo!

o

Hi everyone, this is the perfect distraction from yet another few inches of snow in Minnesota.

The verbena was a big hit in the butterfly garden last year...and when it looked done for the season, it came back! Hope it survives this Minnesota winter. If not, will definitely buy some more plants.

o

Beautiful Monarch! It's not very likely that v. bonariensis will be perennial for you Coolbutterfly but you should get some volunteer seedlings and they grow pretty fast.

o

Wow, beautiful pictures by all. This is exactly the reason why I'm trying to grow Verbena Bonariensis, for the butterflies! Although, it is also a pretty flower. Glad I stumbled across this thread. My 7 year old and I had fun looking at all your beautiful pictures!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here