Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Butterflies on .... Verbena Bonariensis

christie_sw_mo
13 years ago

Since winter is a bit slow for butterfly fans, I thought I'd go through some old photos to post. I hope some others will join in and add some more photos if you're interested. We can see how many different species of butterflies we have photos of for each type of flower.

Let's see how many we can find for Verbena Bonariensis.

Easter Tiger Swallowtail

{{gwi:553491}}

Variegated Fritillary

{{gwi:553493}}

Monarch

{{gwi:553496}}

Buckeye

{{gwi:553499}}

It's perfectly fine with me if you post a photo of a butterfly that's already been posted.

Comments (14)

• siam_cannas
    13 years ago

lovely pics.
    Siam.

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

I love love love your pics!! I don't have this plant growing in my yard. I probably have some seed for it, and I should grow some next year. ~~Angie

• mcronin
    13 years ago

I LOVE your idea for these threads. They are just what I need to help me through the slow butterfly times of winter. Hope MissSherry adds her pictures to this thread.

mike

• bob_71
    13 years ago

A beautiful plant that blooms all season long in my garden.

Great pictures...all of you!

The skippers are all over it. Here is a Peck's (Polites peckius)
    {{gwi:553501}}

Probably had more visits by the Variegated Fritillary (Euoptoieta claudia) on this plant than any other.
    {{gwi:553503}}

{{gwi:553504}}

One of my favorites...Cabbage White (Pieris rapae)
    {{gwi:553505}}

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beautiful Bob! It seems to be what the Variegated Frits like best in my yard too, also Buckeyes. Monarchs and Swallowtails visit it occasionally, but they gravitate toward my butterfly bush and zinnias more often.
    Spicebush Swallowtail: (Correct me if I'm wrong)

{{gwi:553506}}

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Christie,

I think your butterfly is a female Easter Tiger Swallowtail. The Spicebush border dots are not white but have color to them. The female has a powder blue border, and the male has the pale jade border. I've included a link to a female Spicebush that I photographed this summer.

These butterflies are easy to confuse.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Female Spicebush Swallowtail

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Sandy - Someday I'll learn to tell those apart.

Here's two I didn't post earlier because I wasn't sure on names, but I think...

Checkered White
    {{gwi:553507}}

Silver Spotted Skipper
    {{gwi:553508}}

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Snowberry clearwing moth ...
    {{gwi:444440}}

{{gwi:444437}}

Gulf fritillary ....
    {{gwi:553509}}

Black swallowtail ...
    {{gwi:553510}}

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

I've been trying to catalog my photos from this past year. Here's one of my favorite little guys:

Amblyscirtes nysa - Nysa Roadside-Skipper
    {{gwi:553511}}

Sandy

• terrene
    13 years ago

This little guy was flitting around this fall. Not 100% sure, but think this is an Eastern Tailed Blue. It had a pretty blue color on the upper side of the wings.

{{gwi:553512}}

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rosalee - I just noticed how you can see the flowers so clearly through the wings of the moth. That is such a cool photo!

• Tony G
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, this is the perfect distraction from yet another few inches of snow in Minnesota.

The verbena was a big hit in the butterfly garden last year...and when it looked done for the season, it came back! Hope it survives this Minnesota winter. If not, will definitely buy some more plants.

{{gwi:553513}}

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beautiful Monarch! It's not very likely that v. bonariensis will be perennial for you Coolbutterfly but you should get some volunteer seedlings and they grow pretty fast.

• luvahydrangea
    13 years ago

Wow, beautiful pictures by all. This is exactly the reason why I'm trying to grow Verbena Bonariensis, for the butterflies! Although, it is also a pretty flower. Glad I stumbled across this thread. My 7 year old and I had fun looking at all your beautiful pictures!