Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Checkered Skipper

MissSherry
10 years ago

We've had a few freezes, enough to knock back the top growth of several of my tender garden plants, but certainly not what I'd call any hard freezes. I think it got down to 27 degrees one night. It's very warm and humid today, though, and I saw three cloudless sulphurs circling each other today, plus this lone checkered skipper who nectared (or tried to) on two Georgia asters still blooming down low on some root sprouts -

{{gwi:452101}}

That's all the lep life I've seen today, but then I haven't been out much. I'm already ready for spring! :)

Sherry

Comments (10)

• Tony G
    10 years ago

Great shot! it's going to be 10 below zero here soon so thanks for the beautiful distraction :) Tony

• bernergrrl
    10 years ago

That is in an incredible picture with the colors interacting the way they do! Deserves to be hung on a wall!

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to both of you!

Taking butterfly pictures is so much fun!

Sherry

• runmede
    10 years ago

We are having a brutal winter here in Northern VA too. Did you see the pictures of the snow in Cario? Apparently it hasn't snowed there for 112 years.

Lovely photo of the skipper. They are one of my favorites.

Whenever I leave the house, I'm checking on my butterfly and moth pupae that are wintering over in the garage. They are wrapped up for the winter right now. The only butterflies that I am seeing are in my dreams.

Mona

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We've had the same cold winter weather here that everybody else in the East has had. A few nights ago it got down to 17 degrees, which is the coldest it's ever been since we moved here from Gulfport in 1996. The leaves on my orange tree look burned a bit, some, maybe most of them will fall off, but the tree has a big trunk, so I think it'll make it and resprout this spring.

I haven't seen any butterflies or moths either. My chrysalides and luna moth cocoons are in my unheated guest room. So far, none have emerged, thank goodness! 'Certainly don't need any premature emergers!

I'm already looking forward to spring!

Sherry

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's 70 degrees right now!

Sherry

• minrose
    10 years ago

What an awesome photo, thanks for sharing, Sherry.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Your photo brightened my day :) It's been a long cold winter...
    The weather is just starting to break and we're due temps in the 40's this coming week :)
    Before too long I can look forward to American Ladies, Mourning Cloaks and Red Admirals.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, y'all!

A couple of weeks ago we had the lowest temperature we've had since I moved here in 1996 - 15 degrees one morning, with ice! The leaves on my orange tree have all fallen off (after turning brown) and most are off my satsuma tree. Some of the outer branches appear to be dead, but the big trunk on the orange looks alright, and I've scratched the bark on some branches and found green, so maybe there's hope.

But today, I've been working outside, and my face is all red, because I'm so hot! It's only in the 70's, but this is the first vigorous exercise I've had in a while, since I've been cooped up in the house, reading and cooking and eating too much - I NEED the exercise! :)

I saw a butterfly while I was out, the first I've seen in months! I took my camera with me when i went back out, but didn't see the butterfly again. I think it was a question mark, but it may have been a red admiral. It landed on the side of a tree and moved its wings in and out like RAs and QMs both do, and it was too far away for my old eyes to be sure what it was. Regardless, it was a butterfly, the temps are supposed to be pleasant for a week or so, so I'm thinking spring will soon be here. I took my plants out of the unheated guest room to give them a breath of fresh air - yay!!

Sherry

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Oh there's hope:) I probably won't see my first butterfly for a month (Mourning Cloak) or two (RA) but I'm glad you're seeing them now. Our weather is getting a little "warmer" but we're getting snow here and there. Today's forecast: sunny and 36 degrees... not bad.
    I give us about four more weeks until our first sighting.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor