Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rufous hummingbird

Posted by kiffin87 Orlando FL (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 18:37

I did post this to the HB forum but it doesn't seem to be very busy so I thought I would post here too as I know HB's would also visit butterfly gardens. I have a Rufous HB visiting my yard and I wanted to know how unusual it is to see them in this area - I am in Windermere near Orlando.
many thanks for any info
Andree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rufous hummingbird

I'm no expert, but I think it's pretty unusual for them to show up as far east as you are. Most of the overwintering rufous hummers I hear about are in Louisiana or extreme southwest Mississippi near the border.
Are you familiar with the Sargents? They're very involved with hummingbirds, especially overwintering ones, so I'll give you a link to their site. They'd love to hear about your rufous hummingbird and you can contact your Florida representative on this site.
By the way, is it an orange male, or were you able to identify it as a female? I hear they're a little larger than the regular ruby throats. Male or female, I'm SO jealous! :) I've been leaving my feeders out in winter for years and never gotten any takers! :(

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Hummingbird Contacts

o

Thanks Sherry - I have emailed the Sargents and also the contact for Florida that was on the website you sent. I have sent them the photo I have - I'm not sure about male/female but hopefully they may be able to ID and let me know.

o

Butterflies and hummingbirds go together to me.One summer a little hen
Rubythroat spent quite a bit of time gathering nesting material all about my backyard and dragonfly pond among the old dried cattails.At the same time
The butterflies were busy among the Zinnias(and I grow the tallest I can find)all around the pond.They get along it seems.
Who do we hate??? Fire ants and Yellow Jackets!
DD

o

The bird has been ID'd as a young male Rufous. There are a handful of other Rufous HB's that have been reported in Central Florida also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here