Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Free Seeds

caterwallin
13 years ago

I have lots of seeds to offer for postage (3 stamps) and a bubble/padded envelope. These are the seeds that I harvested from my gardens and will share with anyone who wants some:

Annuals

Tropical Milkweed

Salvia âÂÂLady in RedâÂÂ

Dill

Fennel

Tithonia

Verbena bonariensis (reseeds here in PA)

Perennials

Liatris

Ironweed (Vernonia altissima)

Pearly Everlasting

Anise hyssop

Rue (Ruta graveolens, of course :)

Just click on my name and email me or mention here that you want some and I'll email you. I'll email you my home address and then you can send me a padded envelope with 3 stamps enclosed. Then I'll put the stamps on the envelope and re-use it to mail the seeds to you. I'll be sending the seeds out after New Year's Day after I receive the envelopes.

Cathy

Comments (32)

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Cathy,

I don't see your e-mail address listed on your page. However I am interested in these seeds:

Rue
    Tropical milkweed
    Fennel
    Tithonia
    Verbena
    Liatris
    Ironweed

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• perennialfan273
    13 years ago

This is a very generous offer. Thank you Cathy :-). I'm interested in the rue, verbena bonariensis, dill, tithonia and fennel. As soon as I see your email I'll email you my address.

Happy Holidays

• imabirdnut
    13 years ago

Cathy, You are so generous!!! I'd love to have some Verbena bonariensis, Tithonia, pearly everlasting, & liatris.
    I checked your page & your email isn't listed.
    I have seeds listed if there is anything you'd like from me to send you!
    I will offer my seeds to others as well if y'allt to send me a SASBE with return postage!!!
    Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

I also wanted to add Pearly Everlasting to my list.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My apologies for my email link not showing up on my page. It used to be on there and I think it went *poof*. Just now when I went to my profile to look, sure enough, the email box wasn't checked! I have no idea how that happened. I thought I could fix it by checking the box and updating, but when I changed it and clicked to update, a whole bunch of error messages came up.

Anyway....I'm happy that some people are interested in seeds. My apologies for my email link not working; I think the GW gremlins are at it again. Ha. We're having our Christmas dinner today here at the house, so if I don't get back to you before late tonight or even tomorrow, don't worry.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Cathy

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Cathy,

Would love some of your Lady in Red and Rue seeds. I'll check and see if I saved your email address.

Sandy

P.S. Any seeds you are wanting? Let me know. I might just have them.

• jibd
    13 years ago

Hi caterwallin!

I would love some Salvia "Lady in Red" seeds! I'll check to see if your email is up later. Many thanks for the generous offer. Merry Christmas!

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I've contacted everyone now except for one person.

jibd, Your email link isn't set up (maybe it disappeared like mine did). To facilitate this, I'll just post my email here in a form that hopefully the robots have no way of picking it up. I hope you see this and can email me because I can't email you. It is yomamab2002 at yahoo dot com .

Cathy

• perennialfan273
    13 years ago

Cathy, it's probably me that hasn't contacted you yet. Things were pretty busy these past few days and I just didn't have time to check my e-mail. I'll send you an e-mail tomorrow with my address.

Merry Christmas

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

perennial, You weren't the one I couldn't contact. Your email link is working. If you check your email, though, you'll find one from me that I sent late last night. I don't really need your address as long as you have your return address on the padded envelope when you send it and the stamps.
    Cathy

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I've emailed everyone on here who is interested in seeds and am still waiting to hear back from a couple of you. Also, anyone else who is interested, I still have plenty left.
    Cathy

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Cathy - You're so nice to offer seeds at such a busy time of year. I was going to email you but your link doesn't appear. I had to update my member page a couple days ago because the email link vanished. Gardenweb's been working on bugs. I think mine is working now.
    If you could, please email me. I see at least a couple that I'd love to have. Aren't there any seeds that you're looking for?

Do you know what kind of liatris you have?

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Christie, I had the same thing happen to me and that's why my email link isn't on my member page...it vanished too somehow. I've had that on there for a few years and soon after I posted this thread is when I found out that the link wasn't there...AND it wouldn't even let me change it back to the way I want it. I'll try it again, but if it still won't let me put the link on, I'll email you if yours is working.

I just sent an order in to swallowtailseeds and will practically have all of the seeds that I want. The only one that I can think of right now that they didn't have is Scarlet Runner Bean. I had them here but with our HOT and DRY weather this year, I think maybe the beans didn't mature in time before we got a frost...they aren't any good. I'll think about what else I could possibly use, but honestly, I doubt if I'll come up with any others.

I think the liatris is Liatris spicata if I remember correctly. Btw, I love to help people out with seeds that they need and it helps the butterflies. Ever since I found this forum butterfly gardening is my passion! :)

Cathy

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Have you tried to update it again yet Cathy?
    I went to Member Pages, then "Edit Your Personal Information", then I checked the box that says "Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site" but above that where it says "show my email address to...", I selected "none". There were some other fields that used to be filled in that weren't anymore so I updated those. Hope I've done everything correctly.

• mcronin
    13 years ago

Cathy,

I've been trying to send you e-mails to report on the progress of the plants you sent me. The e-mail address that I used last year for you no longer works. If you've lost my e-mail, post here and I'll post it here.

mike

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Mike!
    I was hoping that those plants did okay for you. I felt bad then with all the hot, dry weather that we and you were having, and I had my fingers crossed that most of them would make it. I realize that you can't water everything in that one-acre butterfly santuary.

I don't understand why you're having trouble sending me emails. I hope nobody else is having the same problem. I actually have 3 accounts and have my yahoo one with this forum, but now as it turns out people can't email me through the forum because the link disappeared through some glitch and it won't let me put it back on. Anyhoo my gmail address is cbrouse at gmail dot com if you'd like to try that one. :)

Cathy

• bluebirdms_z7ms
    13 years ago

Cathy, if you haven't given away all your seeds, I would appreciate some. Salvia Lady in Red - Tithonia - Liatris -Veronia Altissima and Pearlie Everlasting.

Thanks for you willingness to share. I'll get my bubble bag tomorrow and I keep stamps.

Sylvia bluebirdms@aol.com

• bluebirdms_z7ms
    13 years ago

Cathy, still need your email address or mailing address so I know where to mail my bubble envelope and stamps.

Thanks,
    Sylvia

• flutterby64
    13 years ago

Hi Cathy!

I'm just now getting back to the forum after the holidays and saw your generous offer of seeds. If you still have the following, I would love to have some:

Tithonia

Ironweed (Vernonia altissima)

Pearly Everlasting

I just checked your page but don't see a link to email you, so please send me an email with your address. The link to send me an email is showing on my page, so hopefully it is working.

Thanks!
    Dana

• imabirdnut
    13 years ago

Cathy, the seeds arrived today & they are fabulous!!! Thanks & I can't wait to plant them in my new BF garden!
    I finished edging the BF bed today & it's ready to till. We are supposed to get really cold weather the next few days & maybe even some snow! I will cold stratify some of the seeds & look forward to hopefully hosting some new cats this spring & summer!
    Thanks again for sending them! ;o)

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lila, I'm glad that you're happy with the seeds! You sound like you can hardly wait for spring to get here. Well, that makes two of us. You know how much I love (NOT!) winter. We got a couple of inches of snow here yesterday I suppose there's a lot more yet to come this winter, although some winters we get surprised and hardly get any. Actually, we don't get snow like we did when I was a kid. I remember it snowing two feet at a time a few times, and now usually the deepest we get is a foot, although on rare occasions it goes over that. I guess the seeds that like to be cold stratified must really like our winters...right now it's about 15 deg. here. It hasn't gotten below zero yet this winter.

Let's hope that this year will be as good for butterflies as it was last year (at least that seems to be the case here for a lot of people from what I've read). Of course, there are some who said they didn't see many this year. I think this past year was my best year yet, but I've had a few slow years at the same time when I saw others on here were having good years.

Best of luck with your gardens. I know they'll do great for you because you have a green thumb. ;-)

Cathy

• hannahbananaface724_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

hi cathy, very interested in the seeds but was also wondering if it was required to be a bubble envelope, or if i would be allowed to substitute a standard envelope in its place thank you and sincerely hannah

• imabirdnut
    13 years ago

The bubble envelope works so much better than a regular evelope! I recieved the seeds from Cathy in perfect condition but someone from the seed exchange sent me just a few seeds in a regular envelope & they were all scattered inside it & were smushed! It costs a little more but works so much better. The other thing someone used is some bubble wrap inside a regular envelope & the seeds were in good shape, as well. Hope this helps!

• hannahtortoise
    13 years ago

hi, this is hannah boynton, just created an account though. i went out and bought a padded enevlope but i was wondering how you would plan to reuse it, put the new stamps over the old stamps? anyways i was also wondering which seeds you still have left.

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Hanna,
    I hope my email went through to you where I explained the padded envelope thing. Maybe I wasn't specific enough though. I merely open the envelope carefully so as not to rip it up, put the seeds inside, put the stamps on the outside, put your address over mine, and tape the envelope shut. If I can remove the stamps I do (I feel it's less confusing for the post office because they seem to get confused easily enough anyway), but if I can't remove them, I just leave them on rather than wreck the envelope trying to get them off.

I think I have all of the kinds of seeds left, although I am very low on a few of them.

If you didn't get my email, let me know and I'll resend my mailing address.

Cathy

• red_rocks
    13 years ago

Hey, I would like some of those seeds as well. I got on your membership page and couldn't see how to email you.

Thanks for the offer!

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anyone still wanting seeds can email me at either of these two addresses:

yomamab2002 at yahoo dot com

cbrouse at gmail dot com

• ctcfo
    13 years ago

Hi

E-mail sent. Thanks

Jeff

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have enough rue and salvia for one more person and then they're all. I have more of the other kinds. If anyone is still interested, email me at:
    yomamab at yahoo dot com
    cbrouse at gmail dot com

Probably almost everyone who was interested got some by now, has some on the way, or I'm waiting for their envelope and stamps. I thought I'd post this again in case anyone missed it.
    Cathy

• amybeth82
    13 years ago

Thanks for the generous offer.. sending you an email now!

• Tony G
    13 years ago

Thanks Cathy!

Just received my seeds today. now I just have to find a way to fast forward through the rest of our Minnesota winter! :)

One thing to remember about the liatris ligulistylis seeds I sent you...they will not flower the first year. The second year is when the "monarch magic" happens. If you get a chance, pick up a couple of the "plants" at a spring sale...definitely worth the extra money!

also of note.....they post office didn't stamp my 3 stamps which means they can be used again. from what I've read in here, this is common. What is the post office thinking???

Enjoy your weekends, Tony

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

thank you cathy
    I got my seeds today.
    my butterflys thank you too
    huggs
    michelle

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH