Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

Photos of Limentis archippus making winter hibernacula

butterflymomok
12 years ago

I was able to observe several Viceroy caterpillars creating leaf nests for winter hibernation. I had never seen this before, and didn't really know what to expect. The process was very interesting, as is all things to do with butterflies! I didn't realize how tiny the caterpillars would be--second instar--or how tiny the nests would be. The nests are like little "corsets" laced up with the silk threads created by the larvae. I have documented the process and posted the photos on my pbase website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Limentis archippus' hibernacula creation

Comments (14)

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Great pictures, Sandy!
    I've seen red-spotted purples make their hibernaculum in exactly the same manner, and they've all done it in their early instars, like yours. It's really amazing that tiny Limentis caterpillars can all know how to do this! It's not like they could have big brains or something, right? I don't understand how this could be programmed in them, but then, like you say, everything about butterflies is interesting, I'd say wondrous!
    Sherry

• napapen
    12 years ago

What plant are they on?

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Sandy, absolutely striking photos of the process. Is the native Croton a reseeding annual or perennial? Not sure the species - capitatus? - I think is the most common?

I love the photo of the Goatweed Leafwing, too! It appears they take on the characteristics of their host - the tomentose appearance of the larva.

I never see the adulta in the front yard, only in the back, where it is a woody, brushy, unkempt area. They never come to the fruit feeder in front.

Susan

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Penny, the Viceroy caterpillars are on Black Willow leaves. A Black Willow came up volunteer in the garden, and my husband chopped it back to nothing. The thing just put out more limbs and resembles a bush.

Susan, the native croton reseeds. It is not a perennial. It took the hard freeze to knock it out. I have seeds if you are interested.

Sherry, yes it is mind-boggling to realize that these caterpillars know exactly what to do--a definite Divine programming.

Sandy

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

I would LOVE some seeds, Sandy, and thank you!

I am suffering from L.A.D. right now - Lepidoptera Affective Disorder. The only cure is spring time!

Susan

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Susan, I'll collect some for you. Just plant them where you want them to grow.

Me too, I'm suffering from BAD. I took a call from a lady who found a Monarch today! Oxley referred her to me. She will be feeding it and seeing how long it will live. I read about one that lived for 8 weeks on the internet.

Knee replacement next Monday. Keep me in your thoughts.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Keeping Monarch Butterflies Alive

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Good luck on your upcoming surgery, Sandy!
    I know it'll be a success, make you more mobile, and you'll have less pain.
    Sherry

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Sandy, be assured you will be in my thoughts and prayers! LYLAS! I'm sure you're on your way to flexible, strong knees in the very near future now. Can't keep a good woman down! LOL

I need to get some photos downloaded and send you party pics of my 2 beautiful GDs. Charlotte is growing up so quickly, as is McKenna.

My garden finally bit the dust this week after the temps in the 20....even the Swiss Chard.

Susan

• terrene
    12 years ago

Your photo album is beautiful Sandy. Very cool pictures. It's amazing what leps do. A little 2nd instar survives over the winter in that leaf nest!

Good luck with your surgery.

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. Surgery is over, and I'm recovering quickly. Drugs keep me pretty drowsy, so I won't stay on long.

Sandy

• bernergrrl
    11 years ago

Sandy,

I missed reading all of this last year. First, I am glad that you recovered from your surgery. Second, the reason I found this thread was that I am typing up a PowerPoint for a butterfly talk I'll be giving (I know, eek!), and I googled limentis caterpillar to make sure I had the spelling right and to check that I had the right family. And this thread was the first thing that came up. I just wanted to say what an amazing thing you documented in such beautiful pictures. I really, really hope you are thinking about assembling a book with all of your great pics and observations! :)

And I know that you've given talks before, so if you have any advice, I'm all eyes. I'll try to have caterpillars to take in on that day.

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bernergirl, thanks for your kind comments. Haven't considered a book, as most of it has been done before. But, I do enjoy learning new things and sharing.

Re your talk, just enjoy yourself. I try to incorporate as many real things as possible, such as actual eggs, caterpillars, chrysalides, and butterflies ready to be released. I'll take homemade raising containers, and actually demonstrate making one. And, I've passed around caterpillars for the kids to hold. Pipevine cats work really well. The kids always want to hold something. Adults aren't as touchy-feely, but they will have questions, so I allow time for that.

Feel free to borrow any photos. I know you will do great!

Sandy

• bernergrrl
    11 years ago

Hi Sandy, I think you should really consider the book idea--I don't think there are too many books out with all of those beautiful close-ups so thoroughly sequenced that are geared for the general readership who have an interest in butterflies. There is that one book that by Judy Burris (not sure of I have the name right). Maybe MissSherry can co-author with you! :)

Thank you for that input about what to do--this talk will most likely be adults. We're thinking about trying to have some host plants to give to the participants. Between the talks coordinator and me, we should have some of the various stages of different butterflies.

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds like you've got it covered. : ) Now, have a great time sharing your expertise!