Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison0118

Black Swallowtail Caterpillars in December!

alison0118
12 years ago

I have found what I think are Black Swallowtail Caterpillars on parsley in my front flower bed. It has been a mild fall so far with temps between 60s and 70s. My boys and I were really surprised at our find. It is supposed to get cold this weekend in the 40s. What should I do with the caterpillars to ensure that they survive the winter?

Any suggestions would be helpful as this is my first time raising butterflies. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• eclecticgardener
    12 years ago

Hi, I am in the same situation as you are. (Monarch's though)
    If all other suggestions here fail for you, you may try doing the same thing that I am doing.
    I found that I can take my cats and butterflies to the Texas Discovery Gardens in Dallas at Fair Park.

You can call them here:
    214-428-7476 ext. 341

They have a climate controlled place to raise them. :)

Hope this helps!

• terrene
    12 years ago

Alison, I know this reply is late, sorry that things are slow on this forum this time of year. For many of us, butterfly season is over! Sniff! Hopefully your cats are okay. You can bring the cats inside and raise them in a container, and once they pupate they will undoubtedly wait until Spring to emerge. I am keeping my dormant swallowtail chrysalises outside in a mesh enclosure along the side of the house.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Wow...I can believe it. It's warm here. The ground is not frozen.