Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Swallowtail Caterpillars in December!

Posted by alison0118 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 6, 11 at 19:59

I have found what I think are Black Swallowtail Caterpillars on parsley in my front flower bed. It has been a mild fall so far with temps between 60s and 70s. My boys and I were really surprised at our find. It is supposed to get cold this weekend in the 40s. What should I do with the caterpillars to ensure that they survive the winter?

Any suggestions would be helpful as this is my first time raising butterflies. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Swallowtail Caterpillars in December!

Hi, I am in the same situation as you are. (Monarch's though)
If all other suggestions here fail for you, you may try doing the same thing that I am doing.
I found that I can take my cats and butterflies to the Texas Discovery Gardens in Dallas at Fair Park.

You can call them here:
214-428-7476 ext. 341

They have a climate controlled place to raise them. :)

Hope this helps!

o

Alison, I know this reply is late, sorry that things are slow on this forum this time of year. For many of us, butterfly season is over! Sniff! Hopefully your cats are okay. You can bring the cats inside and raise them in a container, and once they pupate they will undoubtedly wait until Spring to emerge. I am keeping my dormant swallowtail chrysalises outside in a mesh enclosure along the side of the house.

o

Wow...I can believe it. It's warm here. The ground is not frozen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here