Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Butterflies on ... Coral vine (Antigonon leptopus)

Butterflies and bees of all kinds love my Coral vine. It's a native of Mexico and a great vine for warm climates. Blooms all summer and can climb to the top of tall trees, but it's easy to pull down because the stems are brittle after a hard freeze. I hope some others here grow it and can show their butterflies.

White striped longtail skipper ...

{{gwi:445866}}

Sulfer ...

{{gwi:445868}}

Grey hairstreak ...

{{gwi:447413}}

Feel free to correct the butterfly ID's if needed.

Comments (10)

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

Those pictures are gorgeous, Roselee! I've never seen such a brilliantly yellow sulphur, and the skipper is amazing - you must be in south Texas!
    I can't remember anybody else posting a picture of butterflies on coral vine, but seeing your pictures brings to mind an old house that used to be on Pass Road in Gulfport. It was an unpainted wood house with a low fence all around it, and coral vine grew all over the fence, even all over the porch and into the trees. They eventually tore the old place down, and now there's a business there - too bad, because you could be stopped at the red light and almost reach out and touch the beautiful coral vine.
    Your picture has gotten me wondering if I should plant some along my fence - it could grow alongside the passionvines.
    Anyway, I love seeing it - it's beautiful!
    Sherry

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Sherry!

I think anybody who can grow Coral vine SHOULD grow coral vine :-) It's easy to grow, comes back without fail, starts blooming early in the spring, nothing eats it, it has no diseases and there is constant activity around it with all the butterflies and bees that are attracted to it. I see all kinds of little wild bees on it that I don't see on anything else.

{{gwi:553973}}

Does anyone else on here grow it?

BTW, I'm in San Antonio, Texas.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What is probably America's favorite butterfly taking a sip on Coral vine ...
    {{gwi:553974}}

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

These are beautiful images, Rosalee! I have got to try some Coral Vine from seed. I think it is kind of borderline hardy here in Oklahoma, but would be an annual North of me.

Simply gorgeous!

Susan

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

I never commented on your photos Roselee. They're beautiful! I got sidetracked looking up whether I could grow coral vine. Looks like I might need some more global warming for that one. I wish it was perennial here.

I had to read up on Long-tailed skippers. There are only three counties in my state (Missouri) that have records for that one but maybe one will show up in my yard someday. I'd love to see one.

• jeepgirl19700
    13 years ago

Well now I just gotta get me some coralvine!

• Tony G
    12 years ago

roselee, what gorgeous pictures. I am researching butterfly vines and came across this thread. I see that coral vine also comes in WHITE. does that also attract a lot of butterflies?

Tony

• ladobe
    12 years ago

Thanks for the great pictures Roselee.

Antigonon leptopus does very well in xeriscapes in Las Vegas as it is drought tolerant, but surprisingly it isn't seen that often. Might be a good one to consider container grown for next year. I have one end of a patio I can't close in by other means due to HOA rules, but it would be nice to completely block the hot sun with a vine (and I could tap into the bubbler system there to keep it watered well, shhh). ;)

L.

• novascapes
    12 years ago

My complements on the pics.
    This is my first year with coral vine. I dug a plant in south Texas and transplanted it. I have a few blooms this year. I also harvested seed. To my surprise I had a very good germination rate. I guess I gave away over a hundred plants.
    Coral vine was used a lot many years ago and for some reason lost favor. It seems to be making a comeback lately.
    I planted mine next to Purple hyacinth which turned out to be a mistake as the Lab-Lab (Hyacinth) hides it pretty well. Next year it will be on it's own so it will be much more striking.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction