Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Opuntia Imbricata or Other Cholla or Opuntia

Posted by paulzie32 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 18, 07 at 21:36

I'm looking for a branch of most types of Chollas, Imbricata, Fulgida, Bigelovii, clavata, etc. I have two types, but they're small and I can't ID yet but are not any of above.

I love cactus and Orchids and would like really any type of Opuntia. I have a few types, but I don't know what they are.
One was collected in Pensacola, Florida,
One was collected in Port St. Lucie, Florida.
I also have some seedlings of different columnar cacti... Seeds were collected from all over Caribbean.
I have cuttings of Pereskia - an orange flowered type.
I also have a couple orchids I could trade... Vanilla being one.
I live in Florida so have access to lots of different tropicals so if there's something you'd like that you know is in Florida, let me know.

Would love to hear from anyone that has cacti.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Opuntia Imbricata or Other Cholla or Opuntia

Cylindropuntia bigelovii (= Opuntia bigelovii) mostly reproduces vegetatively, i.e. from fallen joints. They are dangerous! The debris beneath these cacti is a confusion of barbed spines, upon which one can become impaled in any act of momentary carelessness. They are often called "jumping cactus."

This is a "forest" of Bigelow Cholla in Mason Valley, eastern San Diego Co., CA (26 Mar 2008):
Cylindropuntia bigelovii.  Mason Valley, San Diego Co., CA.  26 Mar 2008.

This is an example of the litter underneath one of these cacti. This stuff is all over the place. Photographed at Bisnaga Wash, eastern San Diego Co., CA. 26 Mar 2008:
Cylindropuntia bigelovii.  Bisnaga Wash, San Diego Co., CA.  26 Mar 2008.

o

Very Cool! ccroulet
Don't they just look so incredible?
Thanks for the pics. did you take them? Do you have access to all these "droppings"?

o

(1) Yes, I took the photos on 26 Mar 2008.

(2) These photos were both taken in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, San Diego Co., Calif., and these particular plants are totally protected. But that's not so much an issue (since they also populate vast areas outside the park) as the fact that I've had many run-ins with Bigelow cholla over the years, and I'm not going to collect any fallen joints. I'd think a dry climate with warm to hot summers and mild winters would be best for them to look right. They grow naturally in rocky/gravelly soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here