Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: collection of small flowering orchid cactus forschool

Posted by jderosa z6 NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 06 at 7:26

I'm interested in getting a small collection (5 or so hybrids) of small flowering orchid cactus for a greenhouse at the middle school I teach at. I'm a science teacher, and I've been starting to populate the greenhouse for teh students. We've started seeds, and taken cuttings from some plants, and I've even brought in some of my larger plants os that the greenhouse has a somewhat tropical feel to it.

I't a pretty small greenhouse by school standards, but I've only been able to get it about half full on my own. None of teh other science teachers have an interest in plants, so this baby is basically all mine.

I brought in my collection of species amaryllis, some Euphorbias, some nice oddball philodendrons, a small collection of tropical carnivorous plants, my Amorphophallus bulbs (should be interesting in another two months or so), some larger cabbage palms, and now I'm interested in bringin in somemore flowering plants.

The greenhouse is cool all winter, and is probably hotter than the sun during the summer, when all of the plants will be placed outside in a protected courtyard.

Any assistance in obtaining a nice collection of colors with one trade wouldbe aqppreciated. These can be cuttings (I'd like a couple of cutting of each variety so I can get started quicker), or rooted starts - whatever you have. I'm sure that we can work out a reasonable trade so long as I can trade non-succulents. Check out my trade page, or tell me what you really want. You never know. I might even have some Welwitchia seeds available!

Joe 'resorting to begging' DeRosa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: collection of small flowering orchid cactus forschoo

Dear Joe,

Begging for plants is a practice that's right up my alley, if my effusive charm, devilish wit and Cary Grant-good looks have no effect.

I wish I could help you, but, Captain, I haven't any Epiphyllyums (or Schlumbergeras, either) - if either of those are what orchid cacti are (my memory fails me).

I take it you've not translated 'Amorphophallus' at the latest PTA meeting, then?

Hey, enough kidding now. What you're doing is a fine thing, Joe, and I applaud you for it. You're enabling the future crop of gardeners, and an attaboy or three for you, sir.

Jeff 'Cactus for Kids' Harris

o

I don't want there to be any confusion - I am willing to set up a fair trade for the plants I am looking for. I am not requesting a 'donation' or postage trade - I have some nice stuff to trade, just not cactus.

Joe 'good cuitizen' DeRosa

o

Please check your email. I have a few epis...would be interested in philodendrons. Shirley

o

Joe....did you find what you were looking for?

I might be able to help you out.
Email me!

o

• Posted by
    simba-nj NJ
    (gw:simba-nj) on
    Thu, Feb 9, 06 at 12:03

I've got several things that you'll like! Check your email...
Cynthia
(A fellow teacher and plant nut!)

o

I haven't recieved any emails, and I am interested in a trade. I don't have many philodendrons right now, but I do have some other nice plants.

Joe 'still hoping' DeRosa

o

Hi Joe,
You might get more responses if you fill in your trade list so people know what it is you have to trade. Many prospective traders will just pass you by if they can't tell exactly what it you have to trade.
Say, you got any pictures of your vivariums?
Good growing.
- Tom

o

• Posted by
    simba-nj NJ
    (gw:simba-nj) on
    Fri, Feb 17, 06 at 11:25

Joe..
I sent you an email -did you recieve it?
-C

o

How about this translation of amorphophallus then:
Malformed Mace. you read right MACE! I have my grandmother's gardening encyclopedia which was published in the late 1950's and includes a section on amorphophallus. Evidently they were censoring gardening terms as well as TV shows back then.
Cheers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here