Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: z5 hardy cacti

Posted by scot z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 11:51

i have several varieties of opuntia to trade. looking for barrel / hedgehog types. i have had decent success with triglodiatus and several smaller unknown species. the wet spring is my big problem. raised planting in a raised bed, but still loose a few to rot in the spring, now the friggin rabbits have decided to eat them in the winter. also would like some Mormons Tea (ephedra) i started several from seed but only one has made it through an anger filled day with a sprayer of round up

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: z5 hardy cacti

just a recommendation...the only way you can be sure that you will not lose any caacti where you live is if you grow your cacti in pots instead of your yard or garden outside. otherwise you can be assured that your cacti will succumb to low temps. pots will allow you to keep plants outdoors from spring through fall without concern. just bring them inside and keep them at 45 to 50 degrees in a garage or basement and you are good to go until spring comes around.

o

thanks Jeffrey, but i have way too many to keep in pots. with a few exceptions i only keep species that can take the cold, and try to stick to those that can handle the moisture here. i stretch the limits on a few each year with mixed results. i made a cover of sorts to protect from too much snow and spring rain, but have become too lazy in recent years to bother with it. my biggest problem is deer and rabbits. if i pick all the fruit in the fall the deer dont bother with the plants too much, but the rabbits get a taste for the plants. a few species of the Opuntias are roubust enough that i have to "cut" them back a couple times per year. i have only lost a few plants to cold (and it was expected) but i have lost several to wet springs and rabbit damage. they usually come back from the rabbits, but are less than attractive or develope fungal infection at the wound site. the triglodiatus is one of my favorites, but i do need to protoect them from the wet, raising their planting site in the raised bed works pretty well, until they develop a large enough clump to hold water at their base, then i pick the best one from the clump and start over.

o

A local grower in my area has had a few opuntia, cholla , and some other types survive outdoors year round for a few years now. I hope to stop out at his greenhouse/store later today. If i can remember I will ask him what species he has found do the best for him.( we are also in zone 5)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here