Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhhoney

WANTED: Aporophyllum

nhhoney
15 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get an aporophyllum called 'Karen' If anyone has this I am willing to buy a couple of cuttings or maybe I have something to trade.

email me at

kadac1999@yahoo.com if you want to see pics of some cactus I can trade, some of them are un-named.

Comments (3)

• liliania
    15 years ago

There is a website recommended by a local (Colorado) gardener. The local gardener wrote an article in the publication, "Colorado Gardener, Summer 2008." The article is titled, "Hanging Around with Cactus Marvels," by Jim Borland. Jim states that he has had "good luck," ordering various Aporophyllum hanging cacti from the following website: www.bobsmoleys.com. I haven't ordered any cuttings yet, but his prices seem reasonable. I need to do a little more research to find out how much light and heat the cacti need in the winter in order to survive. I live in Denver, and I don't know if they would survive on my shady back porch. The temperature on my north-facing backporch definitely drops below freezing. The front of my house faces south, and I could winter the cacti indoors at a temperature of about 75 F, but I don't know if that's too warm. I hope that the Bob Smoley website is helpful to other forum members. If there is anyone out there who knows the winter light and temperature extremes that these cacti can survive, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you in a follow-up post. Thanks

• rockyridge
    15 years ago

I have ordered from Bob Smoley's several times and was always thrilled with the cuttings he sends. I grow Epiphyllums and Aporophyllums outside under trees all summer. Our temps sometimes get into the 100's for weeks at a time. I leave them outside until the temps get down to about 45-40. This cooling period prepares them to bloom in the spring. In fact if your house is warm, they may bloom inside in the winter, which is always a plus. Then I bring them in and hang them in a South facing window. Water them just enough to keep them from wilting. When the days start getting longer again in the spring I step up the watering. I have never had a problem growing them this way. I'm sure there's probably better ways, but I don't have a greenhouse and this works for me. : )

I would love to trade aporophyllum cuttings.

I can send cuttings of:
    Aporocactus flagelliformis
    Aporophyllum 'Moonlight'
    " 'Pricilla'
    " 'Oakleigh Conquest'
    Epiphyllum 'Carolyn Marie'
    Epiphyllum 'Freuhlingsgold'

I have several other varieties but they are still just cuttings themselves. LOL If you already have these, maybe I have something else you would like. Check out my trades page.
    Anyone want to trade?

Roxy
    : )

• emmi5ca_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have some things for trade. I am looking for a cutting of Freuhlingsgold, and Aporophyllum Moonlight, Pricilla, and Oakleigh. Thanks!

Sponsored