Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Caudiciform cucurbit cuttings--Coccinia quinqueloba

Posted by mark4321 9b CA Sunset 15/16 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 25, 08 at 23:01

I have a Coccinia quinqueloba plant that I've clocked at an average of 3 inches a day on 5 vines, and these were not the only vines growing. Hence I've had to take a number of cuttings to keep it under control--I have dozens.

The rooted cuttings are free, although if you have anything you think I might like, by all means let me know.

There is very little info about the plant online. If you locate an unusual picture of the fruit, it's not genuine--ask me for details. Since there is so little info out there, here are some pictures.

I bought the plant as a seedling in a 4 inch pot in mid-July. Here's what it looks like now in what's probably about a 2 gallon hanging pot. The vines have been clipped 4 times, otherwise they would be much, much longer. The earlier leaves are not deeply lobed; the later ones are.

Coccinia quinqueloba in pot

The big question with caudiciform/tuberous plants is whether the cuttings will grow normal tubers; most will not. Here are three cuttings about 6 weeks or so old that I just dug up. They appear to show signs of tuber formation, even though the cuttings have not shown much vegetative growth yet. I take it as a very encouraging sign to see what appears to be the initiation of tubers so early on:

Coccinia quinqueloba small tubers

The tuber on the mother plant appears to be huge relative to the age of the plant--in one direction it extends 4 1/4 inches from the central stem. I have not dug it up so I don't know its full size. It also now protrudes above the surface of the soil by about an inch:

Coccinnia quinqueloba large tuber

The plant also has interesting leaves:

Coccinia quinqueloba leaf

And flowers (the species is dioecious, this is a male):

Coccinia quinqueloba male flower

So although I can't guarantee these will reproduce the large tubers, there's certainly a chance and it would make a good candidate to raise the tuber to display as a caudiciform--although the mother plant seems to want to raise the tuber by itself...

I don't know what the hardiness is--probably zone 9 or 10. I don't know if it's deciduous--the mother plant is currently sending out a bunch of new shoots so I doubt that it will lose its leaves anytime too soon.

As I say, there is little info out there on these guys. One resource would be Birhmann's site--he has pictures of other Coccinias as well as short descriptions.

http://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Caudiciform cucurbit cuttings--Coccinia quinqueloba

mark, i'd love one of your tubers. the leaves look like fig leaves,don't they?i could send you cuttings of silverlace vine or purple castor beans.plmk, thanks ahead,molly

o

I just found out that Silverhill seeds says these are hardy to zone 8.

o

Hello,
Mark, I'd like a cutting if they're still available. Please email me at cacatnip@yahoo.com. I also have some cuttings of Senecio orbicularis if you are interested in trading. Thanks!

Here is a pic of S. orbicularis. It will also form tuberous caudex from a cutting:

-curiouscomputer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here