Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Decomposed granite and soil pH?

Posted by robinpla 10b (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 0:03

Lately I have been sieving decomposed granite to use as a topsoil to my succulent plants. A few days ago I read somewhere that decomposed granite can be used to lower the pH of the soil. Have I made a huge mistake to use it as a topsoil? Will this potentially stunt and possibly kill plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Decomposed granite and soil pH?

Maybe decomposed granite is different from place to place. I do know that the decomposed granite soil of the Llano Uplift of Central Texas to the west of me is considered alkaline soil. It probably is not as alkaline as my alkaline lime based caliche wich is strongly alkaline, but it is not used to lower soil PH. It might make it a bit more neutral if your soil is very high. I like to add it because of its trace minerals and it comes with a bit of iron rich clay in it also. the granite is Texas Pink.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 11:10

The soil tests I have received from DG soils around Los Angeles have all shown pH around 7.3-4.

o

Would you recommend getting a soil pH test kit? I have no clue where my DG comes from, and even if I did I wouldn't know the pH.

What's the recommended pH range for most succulents? I know my adenia glauca loves acid soil and I think I have another plant that prefers alkaline soil. But in general if I don't know the plant's preference should I aim for neutral 7 pH?

o

Its a relative thing, that pH. If I take my neutral pH compost and mix it with alkaline soil, it will lower the pH of the soil. If I take that very same neutral compost and mix it with an acid soil it will raise the pH. Ultimately, it cannot bring acid soil higher than neutral, nor bring the alkaline soil lower than neutral as that is its own pH. As for granite dust, it is much less soluble than, say my compost or even limestone, so even if it is acidic, the relative effect is close to neutral.

tj

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 20:19

o

Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 20:31

You're sieving purchased DG? I've done that. It's a PITA! Just go buy a bag of pumice. lol.

o

I plant most of my plants in 3/4 pumice and 1/4 commercial cactus mix (not all commercial mixes are the same, I have my favorite:), then top it off with some nice top dressing. But it's really hard to find top dressing outside of the C&S club sales. A 60 pound bag of DG is $5, which is basically free compared to the commercial stuff. Pumice doesn't look too great as a top dressing :)

o

Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 11:27

ahh, it's for topdressing. The topsoil bit confused be a bit. I get bags of gravel from a really good stone yard for about $12/75# bag with no sifting required. But then I have also sifted shale from landslides in the neighborhood in order to get a nice local gravel mulch for the garden, so I really shouldn't talk, lol.

o

I like crushed rose granite for top covering. It is cheap where I live. But it makes some of my larger pots heavy and tip them beyond the picking up comfortably and carrying in for cold front dilemma, AAAARGH.

o

No one said beauty came for free ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here